FHD Display QHD WQHD Resolution UHD: A complete description. Know about 2k-4k and ultra-high definition resolution in LCD, LED, and OLED. Those were the days where people used to consider buying of a television set as a big asset. Initially, the television set is built by using a cathode ray tube which consists of electron guns and a phosphorescent screen to display the images. Cathode ray tube modulates, accelerates, and deflects electron beams on the screen to produce the images.
Cathode ray tube is used in oscilloscopes, television sets, computers, and other devices. Later, the black and white images are changed to color images, by controlling the intensity of three electron beams, one for each primary color (red, green, and blue) with a video signal as a reference.
Don’t Miss: error 0x800706be
In the year 2000, CRTs have been replaced by flat panel display technologies like LCD, LED, OLED and plasma displays. Gradually, people aspired for the sharp picture clarity on the screen space. This has given rise to the concept of display resolution. Resolution describes the number of pixels on a screen. For analog images, the screen resolution is explained as the number of pixels in horizontal lines and for digital pictures, it is counted as the number of pixels in both horizontal and vertical axis. The displays vary in terms of resolution. For example, if the display has 1280 x 720p then it is known as High Definition or HD display. Similarly, based on the resolutions, the displays are classified as FHD, QHD, WQHD, UHD etc.
The term FHD stands for Full High Definition. It has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and in short form it is represented as 1080p, where p stands for progressive scan. We can also calculate HD / FHD as the number of pixels per inch (PPI). Major difference between HD and FHD is in screen resolution. HD screenresolution points to 1280 x 720 pixels.
HD and FHD differs in picture sharpness. Today, most of the electronic gadgets like televisions, mobiles, laptops etc are manufactured by using FHD displays. After FHD, FHD+ is introduced with a resolution of 2220 x 1080 pixels. This offers a better and fast-moving content. For example, Samsung Galaxy series smartphones are using FHD and FHD+ displays.
The list of smartphones using FHD display are:
- UMI XII
- Spice Pinnacle FHD
- Lenovo K900
- Sony Xperia ZL
- Sony Xperia Z
- LG Optimus G Pro
- HTC Butterfly
- HTC One
Pros of FHD:
- Images are displayed in sharper, crisper, detailed and easy to read manner compared to HD as the pixel density is higher. For example if you are updating your laptops from HD to FHD, there will be an increase in the amount of screen space. This increase in the screen space enables us to perform various tasks in an easier way such as browsing, editing of photos and videos etc.
- Compared to Ultra HD, the FHD devices will have long lasting battery because of the usage of less number of pixels in FHD. This feature will help the user while accessing the laptop to travel. Even the hardware need not work in a higher rate to hold up the FHD image.
- Devices with FHD are cost effective compared to UHD.
Cons of FHD:
- Picture quality will be less compared to their displays like QHD, UHD etc.
QHD \ WQHD Resolution:
Manufacturers are desperate to introduce higher resolution displays more than FHD in smartphones. This lead to an argument like why to install such higher resolution display on small panels and even will there be any difference while reading the content. Contradicting the above arguments, manufactures have released the higher resolution screens more than FHD on smartphones by taking the following facts under consideration: user will always tries to browse the contents in a detailed view and higher resolution will support the VR headset in future use. Next higher resolution after FHD, is called Quad HD Resolution or wqhd resolution.
Quad HD is four times greater than normal HD. It has a 2560 x1440 pixels per inch resolution. Both Quad HD and WQuad HD are the same, the only difference is the W, which represents Quad HD in a wider aspect.
Attributes of QHD:
- Colour accuracy is high and supports for 1.07 billion colours while displaying the image.
- Consistent image quality which comes with a higher resolution of 1440p.
- Increase in resolution will drain the battery life. To avoid such cases, companies like Samsung have introduced AMOLED display. AMOLED displays are having an organic material that emits light inside OLED. These displays will be best utilised when the resolution is higher.
- It will display the content in enhanced contrast and colour vividness.
List of smartphones using qhd:
- Moto Z
- Honor 8 Pro
- Nokia 8
- Moto Z2 Force
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
- BlackBerry Privilege and so on.
Disadvantages of qHD:
- Quad HD displays costs more because of its extraordinarily higher resolution. Inclusion of new hardware, research and development will increase the cost. Gadgets selling price will increase by incorporating such higher resolution displays.
- Greater the resolution, higher is the battery drain. New materials have to be introduced to reduce the consumption in battery life.
Apart from FHD, qHD, there are few more screen resolutions which describes their characteristics more or less in the same way. They are commonly known as 2K and 4K.
2K \ qHD:
Quad HD is also known as 2K. If the pixel count is more than 2000, then it is referred to as 2K. Resolution for 2K is 2048 x1080.
4K \ UHD:
4K offers a resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels and 4K displays are used in professional production and in digital cameras. It is also called as Ultra HD. 4K displays are used in gaming consoles. It has a higher pixel density, which showcases the image with more clarity, sharpness. It exhibits the picture in a more detailed and defined way. We can see more of these higher pixel resolutions in Televisions. An example is the Samsung 4K television.
Cons of UHD:
- If we plan to buy 4K television, we need to connect extra hardware components to transmit the 4K signals. For example, for watching movies we need to buy 4K Blu-Ray player, 4K receiver and DIRECTV for channels.
- Flat screens does not offer enough life spans. So investing in higher screen resolutions is not a better option.
- There is no sufficient 4K content available yet.
There are even higher resolutions like 5K and 8K which are projecting the image in a more realistic and natural way. The above description will allow the consumer to select the best resolution to their liking.