Welcome you all! If you were wondering what are android cookies? how to manage them? how to clear them? are they safe? should you accept them? and many more than you have come to the right place because in this article I am going to discuss everything you need to know about the android cookies background. We all have gone through pop-ups or many texts asking us to allow cookies when we visit a site. I will cover this topic for various popular browsers and websites. Well, to explain in short cookies are data but in a very negligible amount. To know more about cookies make sure to read the article thoroughly.
Table of Content
- 1 What are cookies?
- 2 Types of cookies and android cookies background
- 3 How to clear/delete cookies on Android
- 4 How to get rid of cookies on Android in google chrome
- 5 How to get rid of cookies on Android background in the Firefox browser
- 6 How to get rid of background cookies on Android in the opera browser
- 7 How to get rid of background cookies on Android in the Microsoft Edge browser
- 8 How to get rid of background cookies on Android in the Samsung internet browser
- 9 How to get rid of background cookies on Android in the Dolphin browser
- 10 How to get rid of cookies on Android in the Puffin browser
- 11 How to get rid of cookies on Android in the Ecosia browser
- 12 How to erase background cookies from a specific site on android in google chrome
- 13 How to erase cookies from a specific site on android in the Firefox browser
- 14 How to allow cookies in the google chrome browser
- 15 How to allow cookies in the Mozilla Firefox browser
- 16 How to allow cookies in the Opera browser
- 17 How to allow cookies in the Microsoft Edge browser
- 18 How to allow cookies in the Dolphin browser
- 19 Final words
- 20 People also ask for-
A baked or cooked sweet snack to eat? Naah! As I said cookies are just data or a small amount of text which is delivered to you by various websites that you visit on your browser. These cookies are essential because through them the sites remember us and they also help in making browsing faster and easier and more effective. Remember when we log in to a site, where we have logged in before then it does not ask us for our password and other details? You just get logged in without entering any details, or when we purchase something online and the site recommends things to us which we have viewed before and similar stuff to that, It is done by using the cookies.
Did you know that an average site contains about 23 cookies? Now, sit back and think about how much information they are accessing through them. Want to know how many types of cookies there are and specifically android cookies background? Read the next sections to know.
I and discussing some major types of cookies that are used frequently, they are:
starting the list from the bad guys. These are one of the reasons that people hate cookies and deny allowing them on a site and I said they are the bad guys because these cookies can also affect your privacy (track you.) As the name suggests “third party” these cookies do not belong to the site you are surfing on instead they originate from a different domain. They are not of any use too because it does not serve the site you are on but instead, just benefit other sites to access your data and track you. The tracking may not be bad (the chances are slim XD) because third-party cookies are new favorites in advertising and are used by many networks on a large scale to improve their sales or reach. The third-party access to your data like spending habits, online behavior, browsing history, and lots of stuff.
The important ones. First-party cookies are also known as stored cookies, permanent cookies, and persistent cookies. These cookies are the most important ones because these are the cookies that help sites remember your data and play a vital role in authentication. If I have to give you an example about them then, do you notice when you first visit a site and apply your desired settings on it like selecting language, themes, bookmarks, and all then when you visit back to the site after some time you changed settings are still there?
This is the work of the first-party cookies. The first-party cookies have a short life span, they expire within a year or two, and all the changes you made on the site expire too (only if you don’t visit them before they expire.) the browser deletes them on its own or you also got an option to remove them manually. These cookies can also be used to track you.
These cookies also help sites to remember you but for a short period of time. To understand them to take a look at what the name suggests, “session” cookies. They are used to remember you for different sessions on a site. Like you completed a session on a site and move to the next session and the site still remembers you and the activity done by you, you don’t need to fill in your details (same when you move to a previous session.) for example you are using GossipFunda and you logged in then you clicked on this article to read and you move on another article to read (or go back to the main menu) and you don’t need to log in again (you are not treated as someone new, imagine if you had to whenever you moved from a page.)
These cookies are kinda safe since they do not contain any personally identifiable information and they also don’t collect information about your device. These cookies have the shortest life span, you close the web and the cookies are gone.
The name has security in it but are they really secure though? Well, yes! they are. (even though the network attackers can not access them, there can be exceptions) to ensure you all that these types are safe, online banking sites use these cookies, e-commerce websites also use them in order to have a safer transaction process. These types can only be passed over an encrypted connection in other words HTTPS. The user agent is not going to transfer the cookies to an encrypted site as long as you keep the cookie’s “secure” attribute turned on and if you don’t keep it turned on then the cookie will be sent to third parties (unauthorized ones) in a clear text too (it is easier to intercept then in this manner.) Although the cookie is safe, developers should avoid storing sensitive data through it.
Well in fact these are not actual cookies but a code of small bits. They are also known as evercookies and super cookies. These codes are usually found in the form of HTML web storage, a local shared object, or an image. They have been named zombie cookies because they just don’t die, when you delete them they recreate themselves and come back on their own.
A zombie cookie is a type of HTTP cookie and they are recreated with the help of a technology called Quantcast (not directly but Quantcast surely contribute to recreating zombie cookie because Quantcast create flash cookies then fash cookies create browser cookies and then these browser cookies convert to zombie cookies) we face these types of cookies on pirated sites especially the pirated sites we use to download movies and series. These cookies are also not safe, they keep track of the user’s activity and also store our personal data for online marketing services.
We discussed secured cookies, secured cookies are also HTTP-only cookies (most of the time) and can store data up to 4 KBB. All the cookies that are sent with the help of HTTP protocol are called HTTP cookies. Usually, this cookie is used to confirm that requests are coming from the same browser and an HTTP cookie is a data (small amount) that s sent by a server and that data may be saved to the user’s browsers or it is transferred back to the server with a request.
Naah these are not extraordinary fast (if you guessed them by name), they are a type of supercookies and the most common one. Now that I have brought a new word for you all that is “supercookie” then I need to explain it too. Supercookies are not much different from (to be honest they are not different at all) a simple/regular cookie and they even function the same, the only thing that makes them superior is they are hidden. They are not actually completely hidden, it is just hard to find and delete them, that’s all.
They are hidden because developers use flash plugins in order to hide them from your management tool. of browser. and these cookies are so bad that you are not safe even if you use separate browsers for different tasks. These cookies track you so badly and the worse part is that they can store data up to 100 KB.
There is also another type of cookie called “Magic cookies” that are used to send and receive information without making any changes to it. We see all these login pages on a lot of different websites daily done using this type of cookies. Well, these were all the types of cookies. Now let’s move to the part where we learn how to manage them.
Clearing them is very essential not only does it get rid of us from various excess data but also sets up some websites on default, the websites which are not safe and you may have allowed it to access the cookies when you were in a rush or not paying attention (or were not aware of) at that time. We visit various days daily and allow cookies so, it is hard to delete cookies from a single web but there is an option by which you can cookies from all the sites. We use different browsers on android so, I need to cover the delete guide for various browsers (will cover the popular ones).
Undoubtedly the most famous browser for android and the most used one too. Ro clear cookies on google chrome follow these instructions:
- Open the google chrome app on your android phone
- At the top right section, you can see three dots (placed vertically) tap on that icon
- Now open the settings of the google chrome browser, click on the “Settings” option from the list
- Scroll down until you get to the “Privacy and security” option and then click on it
- You will get the second option of “Clear browsing data” (if you are using the same version of the app, otherwise scroll and find it) click on the option
- Tick on the “Cookies and site data” option and then click on the “Clear data” button below
- Then on the pop up select the “Clear” option and it will delete all the cookies.
Now, let’s head to some other browsers popularly used by people
In order to clear all the cookies in the Firefox browser, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Firefox browser app on your android phone
- Similar to google, click on the three dots button located in the upper right section of the browser screen.
- This step is also the same. Go to the “Settings” of the firefox browser
- Scroll down until you get to the “Privacy and security” option and then click on it
- Now, here in this section, you will get the “Delete browsing data” option, hit on it
- Here you will find the “Cookies” option, Select it, by ticking it
- Then click on the “Delete browsing data” option below to delete the cookies and you are done.
The process may differ a little bit (literally a Lil bit I swear if you are using other versions of the app) but following these steps will surely guide you to it.
Go through these steps to clear the cookies in your opera browser:
- Open the Opera browser on your android device
- Click on your Profile button, the last one on the bottom row, (it may have an image if you did set it on your profile)
- You will get the little window pop up on the bottom of the screen and then access the Settings, click on the gear type icon to access it
- From the list of options hit on the Privacy option
- Now at the bottom, you have the option to Clear data. Click on it
- Then select the Cookies and site data option from the list. Once you are done with that and you are sure to delete cookies click on the CLEAR DATA option at the bottom right and you will get rid of all the cookies
Follow these instructions to delete all the cookies in the Microsoft Edge browser
- The obvious step lol. Launch the Microsoft Edge browser on your android phone
- Tap on the three dots icon (menu button) at the center of the bottom of the browser’s screen
- Then proceed to go to the browser’s settings. Tap on the Settings icon next
- In the settings menu click on the Privacy and security option. It has a lock as its icon
- The first option is Clear browsing data. Hit on that option
- From the list of options. Check on the Cookies and site data option and then hit the Clear data button at the bottom right and you are done.
For all those folks who use the Samsung Internet browser go through these steps:
- Open your Samsung Internet browser on your android phone
- Click on the stacked line button (menu button I guess) it is the last option on the bottom row
- Then on the new window pop up click on the Settings (gear icon) to access your browser’s settings
- In the Internet settings section tap on the Privacy and security option
- Select the Delete browsing data option from the new menu options
- Then you need to mark the Cookies and site data option in order to delete the cookies.
- Once you have marked it hit the Delete data button on the bottom and a new pop-up will appear, it is going to ask for confirmation. Tap the Delete option if you are sure about it.
If you want to delete cookies in the dolphin browser, do these:
- Launch the Dolphin app on your android device
- Tap on the Dolphin (it is literally shaped like a dolphin) icon, it is in the middle of the bottom row
- Click on the Clear data (icon is of a paintbrush) option and it will straight take you further to the clear data menu.
- You will see the Cookies option there, tap on the box beside it
- Then hit on the Clear selected data and the process is complete. It will not ask you for confirmation so, make sure to be sure about it.
Go through the steps written below to erase all the cookies from the Puffin browser on an android device:
- Firstly, access the Puffin browser app installed on your android device
- Then access the menu. Click on the menu button (three vertical dots) on the upper right section of the screen. The button is the same as the google chrome browser menu button
- Then go to the Settings of the Puffin browser. You will have to click on the gear-shaped icon for that.
- Hit on the Clear browsing data option from the list
- You can see the All cookies and site data option, select it. In order to select it to press on the box beside it.
- Then you need to tap on the Clear button and after that hit the Done button once and you have deleted all the cookies.
Go through the following steps to erase all the cookies on the Ecosia browser from your android device:
- Launch the Ecosia app on your android device
- Click on the three vertical dots (the menu button) in the upper right section of the screen of your browser screen.
- Now, access the settings of your browser. Click on the Settings button, it is last on the list
- Then in the settings menu look for the Privacy and security option. Tap on it once you find it
- Then select the Clear browsing data option and it will take you to a new menu
- Click on the box next to the Cookies and site data option (don’t forget this step)
- Then hit on the Clear data button on the bottom right and it will clear all the cookies
Now, if you do not want to delete cookies from all the sites then you can do this one thing, where you can delete cookies from a specific website. It may cause you more effort but it is worth it if you don’t want to set other sites on default. Let’s move to how to erase cookies from a specific website.
To get rid of cookies on the google chrome browser using your android device, do the following:
- Go to the google chrome browser on your android device
- Then tap the three vertical dots (the menu button) on the top right section of the screen.
- Then open the google chrome browser settings. To do this simply click on the Settings button from the list
- Go to the Privacy and Security option and then look for the Site Settings option. Tap on it.
- Then you need to tap on the Cookies and site data option from the list of available options
- Now, you have the option of Seeing all cookies and site data click on it
- Now, you have two choices either look for that specific site from the list or just search it using the search bar.
- After you find the site, tap on the Trash can icon next to the site’s name and it will remove all the cookies from it.
Just go through these steps to delete cookies from a specific website if you use the Firefox browser:
- Open the Firefox browser on your android device
- Click on the Menu/tool button. Its icon is three horizontal lines
- Then go to the settings of your browser. Click on the Options button for it
- Then look for the Privacy and security option and click on it
- Then go to the Cookies and site data option
- Tap on the Manage Data button and search for the website you want to remove cookies from.
- Then tap on the Remove Selected button
- And then hit the ok dialog
If you use the Microsoft Edge browser then sorry, to inform you that Microsoft Edge does not allow to remove cookies from a specific site.
Now, on the android cookies background section let’s move to how can you accept cookies on your browsers. Some of the browsers allow cookies by default because it is necessary but just in case if the feature is off then you can on it.
Google Chrome is one of those browsers that allow cookies by default but if you still can’t access cookies you can do the following:
- Go to the google chrome browser on your android device
- Click on the three dots icon at the top right section of the browser screen
- Click on the Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down a little and you will get the Site Settings option. Hit on it.
- Then click on the Cookies option (it will already show you if the cookies are blocked)
- Then on the Cookies menu select Allow cookies. Or if you wish third-party cookies you can select that option as well. And it is done now, that you have enabled cookies.
Do these if you want to allow cookies in the firefox browser:
- Launch the Mozilla Firefox browser on your android device
- Click on the three vertical dots icon to access the settings of the browser
- Click on the Settings option from the list
- Now look for the Enhanced Tracking Protection option from the list of options. Click on it
- Now, decide what you want to do, you have three options Standard (default), Strict, and Custom. The standard one will allow cookies, the strict one will not allow most of them and the custom mode lets you choose the websites you want to allow or restrict
- Press on the option of your preference.
In my opinion, it is easier to allow and manage cookies in the Mozilla Firefox browser as compared to the google chrome browser
All the people who use the opera browser follow these instructions written below:
- On your android device, open the Opera browser
- Click on the three lines icon on the top left section of your browser’s screen
- From the options, look for the Settings option and press on it
- Then access the Privacy and Security option from the settings menu
- There you get the Cookies option. Click on the option according to your choice. You can allow cookies from all the sites or only allow cookies from the sites you have visited (go for this, if you ask me) and you are done.
All the Microsoft Edge browser users, follow these steps mentioned below:
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser app on your android device
- Hit on the Three dots icon. it is at the center of the bottom row
- Then access the Settings of the Microsoft Edge browser
- Then from the settings menu, click on the Privacy and Security option
- From there go to the Site Permission
- Then tap on the Cookies option and toggle the switch to allow them. This is how you allow all cookies on the Microsoft Edge browser app.
Just follow these steps to allow cookies on your android device from the Dolphin browser. Here are the steps:
- Launch the Dolphin app on your android device
- Tap on the Menu button (it is shaped like a dolphin)
- Then click on the More option and then access the Settings of the dolphin browser
- Then click on the Dolphin Settings option
- From the new menu look for the Privacy and Security Settings option and tap on it
- Click on the Accept Cookies and it will check the box. You can access cookies now on sites without any trouble.
This was it on the android cookies background, I have listed all the information related to cookies on our android device which you may have wanted to know (do let me know if you want guidance on something related to cookies.) Cookies are really important to surf the internet easily and access everything. For some websites, cookies are a must. And if you are worried about your privacy being affected by cookies then you can use a VPN it will surely help you to in saving some of your important information from being leaked online. If you liked the article and it helped you please consider it sharing with your friends and family, it will help us grow more.
Now, next on the list of android cookies background is frequently asked questions by people. You may have the same questions so I am gonna share solutions to some of those questions. (only for android devices)
People also ask for-
Well, the two most critical reasons behind using the cookies on android are Authentication and Tracking. In the Authentication process, it is checked the name of the user, what they are streaming, and also if they are a real user or not. And the tracking part is to track your multiple visits on the same websites and sadly to track you. Also, cookies are used to make our surfing experience easier.
This may be a little panicky for you that cookies store your personally identifiable information. This information can have your name, email address, mobile number, and even your residential address.
Cookies can be accessed by where it was created that is the root and also by any domain which is attached to that specific root.