A factory reset is done when the user needs to restore the device to its original state. Why bother with it? Well, your phone’s performance will lag behind after some time. And at that stage, the best thing to do would be to cleanse it in some sort. Moreover, sometimes you may face severe errors that can only be corrected by resetting your device to factory settings.
Different ways to factory reset without data loss
But the severe drawback of this solution is that all of your device’s memory will be wiped clean. Hence you need to know how to perform a factory reset without losing data. And you will find out how in this post. Find here different ways to factory reset without data loss. Keep reading.
Method 1: Look if there is such an option on your phone
Even the manufacturers of your phone know that restring your phone is a hefty thing to deal with. After all, you have to take a lot of action to preserve your data. Hence, some companies have come up with options that will let you spare your data from the resetting process. And this is becoming more common with the latest models.
When you go to the factory reset screen in settings, look for an option called factory reset settings options. Although it might have different names in different models, if it is present, you will be able to reset your phone without deleting any data. In this case, only the settings of your device will be turned back to the factory state, in addition to cleaning up some RAM.
- Run the Settings app on your smartphone.
- Scroll till you see the Additional settings option and then choose it.
- Now go for the Backup and Reset option.
- At the end of the screen, you will see the Reset to Factory Settings option. Select it.
- Finally, tap on the Reset System Setting Only option, among the other options.
Below this option, you will be able to see other options, including the Erase All Data option. And choosing this one will surely clean every piece of data on your phone.
Please do note that the steps mentioned above may vary from phone to phone. So, check if your phone really has any similar option before relying on this method. But if it doesn’t, follow another method.
Also read: Android Recovery Mode
Method 2: Backing up your files to an SD card or PC
This is the next method through which you can safely backup your data before conducting a factory reset. It is useful since most of the older phones may not have the Reset System Setting Only option or anything similar, because it is a relatively new feature among smartphones. But you still need to back up the things you need.
Going with a memory card is a good option since you won’t even need a fast internet connection to get it done. Furthermore, you can do it even if you don’t have a PC. But the chances that all your data can be copied to your memory card are low since people usually don’t use memory cards with more than 16 GB, and the internal memories of phones are much higher than that. If that’s the case, resort to using a PC.
You will need a USB cable in order to transfer your files to your PC. As the PC has a lot more space, it can handle whatever you have to offer. But if you don’t own a computer, borrow it from one of your friends.
And for the contacts, you can just move them to your memory card. After you are done moving the files, you can go to the setting and initiate the factory reset.
Method 3: Using google services for backup
One the different ways to factory reset without data loss
1. Backing up contacts
You can easily upload your contacts to your google account. All you need is some internet with decent speed.
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Look around for the Accounts and Sync option and then choose it when you spot it.
- You will be able to see your google account. And if you did not add it, you can do so by clicking on the Add Account option.
- After that, tap on your Google account that you added.
- Make sure that the box against Contacts has a tick mark.
- Then choose the Sync option at the bottom of the screen.
To download the contacts after rebooting the phone, follow the steps below.
- Follow steps 1 and 2.
- Add the Google account you just used to the list.
- Tap on the Google account that you just added.
- Now click on the Sync option at the bottom of the screen.
2. Backing up files with google drive
Google Drive is certainly a very useful app. In fact, you can use it to upload a variety of files, including photos, videos, documents, sheets, and so on. Although you will need some decent internet connection for it. Moreover, there is a limit of 15 GB that you can use. But that is for a single account. So, if you have more than one google account, then you have that much space.
To upload your files, follow these steps:
- Tap on the Google Drive icon on your menu.
- When the app opens, you will be able to see a colorful + icon at the bottom right corner. Click on it.
- A few options will emerge at the lower part of the screen. Choose the second option, that is the one called Upload.
- Now you can choose the files that you want to upload.
- Choose OK once you are done.
Now that you have uploaded the files, you can reset your phone. Once the process is done, perform the steps below to download the files.
- Add your Google account to your phone, as mentioned in the method above.
- Now, go ahead and open the Google Drive app on your mobile.
- Select all the files that you want to save on your phone.
- Tap on the three vertical dots at the topmost right corner.
- From the menu that appears, choose the Download option.
Don’t miss: Android Backup: Importance And How To Perform
3. Backing up pictures and videos with Google Photos
For those who don’t deal much with other types of files, it will be hard to get things done with Drive. Since you have to select all the photos and videos that you want to upload. But Google photos provide a good alternative to this.
- Open the Google Photos app on your device by tapping on it.
- Now, click on the three horizontal lines at the topmost left part.
- Choose the Settings option.
- Look at the first option, the Backup & sync option. So turn it on and wait while your photos and videos are uploaded. If you don’t want all the files, you can select the ones you want as well.
- At this point, perform the reboot on your smartphone.
- Now, add your Google account to the list just like before.
- Open the Google Photos by tapping the app once again.
- You will be able to see all the uploaded media. You can choose to download them to your phone if you want.
When it comes to your app data, most apps today come with provisions for some kind of cloud backup. So you can choose that option for saving the data on such apps.
Method 4: Backing up with the help of dr.fone
dr.fone has a bunch of apps that are designed to help your phones for various purposes. The software has even dedicated versions for rooting phones as well as restoring deleted files on the phone. Here, we are going to deal with the one that helps people to back up their files. And you can use it before you factory reset your device.
The major advantage with dr.fone that you did not get with any of the other methods is that you can even backup things like text messages and call history.
Backing up files with dr.fone
- Download the software on your PC from its official website and then install it.
- Now, secure a connection between your phone and the PC with the help of a USB cable.
- Next, open the app and choose the Phone Backup option.
- The following page will show you the several file types you can choose to backup. Select all the ones that you deem worthy of saving.
- Now choose the Backup option.
Now that you have performed the backup, go on ahead and reset your device to factory settings. And after that is done, use dr.fone to restore all your data.
- Connect the phone with the PC, use the USB cable yet again.
- The interface of dr.phone will show you different backups when it reads your device. Choose the one that belongs to the current phone.
- Click on the files that you want to restore. You can choose entire file types as well.
- Finally, choose the Restore option, and you are done.
Check out: How to recover deleted photos from Android Gallery
Different ways to factory reset without data loss: After reading this post, you probably have got some idea about performing a factory reset without paying the price. So now you can do it without any hesitation. Good luck.