Ubisoft Connect is a popular gaming platform that allows players to access a wide range of Ubisoft games. However, some users have reported encountering an unrecoverable error while using Ubisoft Connect on Steam Deck, a handheld gaming device. This error can be frustrating, as it prevents players from enjoying their favorite Ubisoft titles. In this article, we will explore the reasons behind this error and provide step-by-step solutions to fix it, ensuring a smooth gaming experience on the Steam Deck.
Understanding the Unrecoverable Error
When Ubisoft Connect detects an unrecoverable error on Steam Deck, it usually indicates a compatibility issue or a technical glitch between the two platforms. This error can manifest in various ways, such as crashes, freezes, or the inability to launch games. It is crucial to address this error promptly to continue enjoying Ubisoft games seamlessly.
Reasons for the Unrecoverable Error on Steam Deck
Outdated Ubisoft Connect Version
One of the primary reasons for the unrecoverable error is using an outdated version of Ubisoft Connect. Newer games may require updated software to run correctly, and using an outdated version can lead to compatibility issues.
Incompatible System Requirements:
Another common reason for the error is the Steam Deck’s hardware limitations. If the system requirements of a Ubisoft game exceed the capabilities of the Steam Deck, it can result in the unrecoverable error.
Corrupted game files:
Corrupted game files can also trigger the error. If any essential game files are damaged or missing, Ubisoft Connect may fail to launch the game properly, leading to the unrecoverable error.
Conflicting software or services
Sometimes, other software or services running on the Steam Deck can conflict with Ubisoft Connect, causing the unrecoverable error. Antivirus programs, firewalls, or even other gaming platforms can interfere with the smooth functioning of Ubisoft Connect.
How to fix the unrecoverable error on steam deck?
Now that we have identified the potential causes of the unrecoverable error, let’s explore the step-by-step solutions to resolve the issue and get back to enjoying Ubisoft games on the Steam Deck.
Fix 1: Update Ubisoft Connect to the Latest Version
To resolve the unrecoverable error on Steam Deck, it is essential to have the most up-to-date version of Ubisoft Connect installed. Follow these detailed steps to update the software:
- Launch Ubisoft Connect: Open the Ubisoft Connect application on your Steam Deck by locating it in your game library or desktop.
- Check for Updates: Look for the “Settings” or “Preferences” option within Ubisoft Connect. Click on it to access the settings menu.
- Update Ubisoft Connect: In the settings menu, locate the “Updates” or “Software Update” section. Here, you should find an option to check for updates. Click on it to initiate the update process.
- Download and Install: If a new version of Ubisoft Connect is available, the software will begin downloading it. Depending on the size of the update, this process may take some time. Once the download is complete, follow the on-screen prompts to install the update.
- Restart Ubisoft Connect: After the installation is finished, close Ubisoft Connect and relaunch it. This step ensures that the new version is fully integrated into the system.
- Test the Game: Open the Ubisoft game that was previously experiencing the unrecoverable error. Check if the error persists. If the issue has been resolved, you can now enjoy your Ubisoft games on the Steam Deck without any interruptions.
Updating Ubisoft Connect to the latest version is a crucial step as it often includes bug fixes, performance enhancements, and compatibility improvements with the Steam Deck.
Note: If you have enabled automatic updates in Ubisoft Connect, the software will automatically check for updates and download/install them in the background. However, it is still recommended to manually verify that you have the latest version installed to ensure that no updates were missed.
By updating Ubisoft Connect, you can address potential compatibility issues and benefit from the latest features and optimizations, significantly reducing the chances of encountering the unrecoverable error on Steam Deck.
Fix 2: Verify Game Files
Another effective solution for resolving the unrecoverable error on Steam Deck is to verify the game files through Ubisoft Connect. Follow these detailed steps to verify the integrity of the game files:
- Launch Ubisoft Connect: Open the Ubisoft Connect application on your Steam Deck.
- Access Game Library: Navigate to your game library within Ubisoft Connect. This section usually lists all the Ubisoft games you have installed on your system.
- Right-click on the Problematic Game: Identify the Ubisoft game that is experiencing the unrecoverable error on Steam Deck. Right-click on the game’s icon or title to reveal a context menu.
- Select “Verify Files” or Similar Option: In the context menu, look for an option that says “Verify Files,” “Validate Game Files,” or something similar. Click on this option to initiate the verification process.
- Wait for the Verification to Complete: Ubisoft Connect will now scan the game files to identify any corrupt or missing files. The verification process may take some time, depending on the size of the game and the performance of your system.
- Repair or Download Missing Files: If Ubisoft Connect detects any corrupted or missing files during the verification process, it will automatically attempt to repair or download those files. Ensure that you have a stable internet connection to facilitate this process.
- Test the Game: Once the verification and repair process is complete, launch the game that was previously encountering the unrecoverable error. Check if the issue has been resolved. If the game now launches without any errors, you can proceed to enjoy it on the Steam Deck.
By verifying the game files, Ubisoft Connect can identify and fix any issues related to corrupted or missing files, which often contribute to the unrecoverable error. This process helps ensure the integrity of the game’s installation and enhances its overall performance on the Steam Deck.
Note: It is advisable to close any unnecessary applications or background processes while verifying game files. This allows Ubisoft Connect to allocate maximum system resources to the verification process, leading to more efficient results.
Regularly verifying game files can be a useful maintenance practice to prevent and resolve potential issues on the Steam Deck, offering a smoother gaming experience with Ubisoft titles.
Fix 3: Disable Conflicting Software or Services
Sometimes, conflicting software or services running on your Steam Deck can interfere with the proper functioning of Ubisoft Connect and result in the unrecoverable error. Follow these detailed steps to disable any potential conflicts:
- Identify Conflicting Software: Take note of any antivirus programs, firewalls, or other software that might be running on your Steam Deck. These applications can sometimes block or interfere with Ubisoft Connect.
- Temporarily Disable Antivirus Programs: Locate the antivirus software running on your Steam Deck and access its settings or preferences. Look for an option to disable real-time scanning or protection temporarily. Disable this feature while you run Ubisoft Connect.
- Disable Firewalls: If you have a firewall program installed, access its settings and temporarily disable it. This step helps eliminate any restrictions or blocks that might be preventing Ubisoft Connect from functioning correctly.
- Close Other Gaming Platforms or Services: If you have multiple gaming platforms or services running simultaneously on your Steam Deck, such as Steam or Epic Games Store, consider closing them temporarily. These platforms can sometimes conflict with Ubisoft Connect and trigger the unrecoverable error.
- Test Ubisoft Connect: Launch Ubisoft Connect and attempt to run the game that was previously experiencing the error. Check if the unrecoverable error still persists. If it doesn’t, it indicates that one of the disabled software or services was causing the conflict.
- Re-enable Software or Services: Once you have confirmed that the conflicting software or services were the cause of the error, re-enable them one by one. Launch Ubisoft Connect after each re-enablement to identify which specific software or service triggers the unrecoverable error.
- Adjust Software Settings: If you have identified the conflicting software or service, access its settings and look for options that may interfere with Ubisoft Connect. Make necessary adjustments, such as adding Ubisoft Connect to the software’s exception or allow list, to ensure smooth coexistence.
By disabling conflicting software or services, you can eliminate potential conflicts and allow Ubisoft Connect to function without interruption on the Steam Deck. However, it is crucial to re-enable these applications and adjust their settings to maintain system security and integrity.
Read more: Verizon smart family not working
Remember to keep your antivirus software and firewall active to protect your Steam Deck from potential threats. Disabling them temporarily should only be done for the purpose of troubleshooting and resolving the unrecoverable error with Ubisoft Connect.
Fix 4: Reinstall Ubisoft Connect and Game
If the previous fixes did not resolve the unrecoverable error on Steam Deck, it may be necessary to reinstall both Ubisoft Connect and the affected game. Follow these detailed steps to reinstall the software and game:
- Uninstall Ubisoft Connect: Open the “Add or Remove Programs” or “Programs and Features” option in your Steam Deck’s Control Panel. Locate Ubisoft Connect in the list of installed programs, select it, and choose the option to uninstall. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
- Remove Game Files: Navigate to the installation directory of the affected game on your Steam Deck. Delete the entire game folder to remove any remaining files and ensure a clean installation. Be cautious not to delete any important personal files or game saves in the process.
- Restart Your Steam Deck: After uninstalling Ubisoft Connect and deleting the game files, restart your Steam Deck. This step helps clear any remaining system cache or temporary files related to the previous installations.
- Download and Install Ubisoft Connect: Visit the official Ubisoft website or the Steam Store page to download the latest version of Ubisoft Connect for the Steam Deck. Follow the provided instructions to install the software on your system.
- Reinstall the Game: Once Ubisoft Connect is installed, navigate to your game library within the software. Locate the affected game and initiate the installation process. Ensure a stable internet connection during this step, as the game will be downloaded from Ubisoft’s servers.
- Launch the Game: After the game installation is complete, launch it through Ubisoft Connect. Check if the unrecoverable error still occurs. If the error no longer persists, you can now enjoy the game without interruptions.
Reinstalling Ubisoft Connect and the affected game can often resolve any underlying issues that were causing the unrecoverable error on Steam Deck. This process ensures a fresh installation of both the software and game files, reducing the chances of encountering compatibility or corruption-related errors.
Note: Before reinstalling the game, make sure to back up any important game saves or progress if possible. This step helps prevent any loss of data during the reinstallation process.
By following these steps and reinstalling Ubisoft Connect and the game, you can address any lingering issues and provide a clean slate for a stable gaming experience on the Steam Deck.
Fix 5: Update steam deck firmware and drivers
Updating the firmware and drivers of your Steam Deck can help resolve compatibility issues that may be causing the unrecoverable error with Ubisoft Connect. Follow these detailed steps to update the firmware and drivers:
- Connect to the Internet: Ensure that your Steam Deck is connected to the internet, either through Wi-Fi or a wired connection.
- Check for System Updates: Access the settings menu on your Steam Deck. Look for an option that allows you to check for system updates or firmware updates. Select this option to initiate the process.
- Download and Install Updates: If any system updates or firmware updates are available, download and install them. This step may take some time, depending on the size of the updates and the speed of your internet connection. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
- Restart Your Steam Deck: After the updates have been installed, restart your Steam Deck. This step ensures that the changes are fully implemented and any necessary configurations are applied.
- Update Graphics and Audio Drivers: Visit the official website of your Steam Deck’s graphics card manufacturer and audio driver manufacturer. Look for the latest drivers available for your specific model and download them. Install the drivers following the provided instructions.
- Restart Your Steam Deck: Once the graphics and audio drivers have been updated, restart your Steam Deck again. This step helps ensure that the new drivers are functioning correctly.
- Launch Ubisoft Connect and Test the Game: Open Ubisoft Connect and launch the game that was previously experiencing the unrecoverable error. Check if the error persists. If the issue has been resolved, you can now enjoy your Ubisoft games on the Steam Deck without any interruptions.
By updating the firmware and drivers of your Steam Deck, you ensure that it has the latest software versions and optimizations. This can significantly improve compatibility with Ubisoft Connect and minimize the chances of encountering the unrecoverable error.
Regularly checking for system updates and updating graphics and audio drivers is a good practice to maintain the overall performance and stability of your Steam Deck, providing a smoother gaming experience across various platforms, including Ubisoft Connect.
Fix 6: Check for Game-specific Patches and Updates
If you are experiencing the unrecoverable error on a specific Ubisoft game on your Steam Deck, it is important to check for game-specific patches and updates. Ubisoft often releases patches and updates to address known issues and improve game performance. Follow these steps to ensure you have the latest patches and updates installed:
- Launch Ubisoft Connect: Open Ubisoft Connect on your Steam Deck and ensure you are logged in with your Ubisoft account.
- Access Game Library: Navigate to your game library within Ubisoft Connect, where all your installed Ubisoft games are listed.
- Check for Updates: Look for the game that is experiencing the unrecoverable error and check if there are any available updates for that particular game. Ubisoft Connect usually displays update notifications next to the game’s icon or in the game’s details.
- Download and Install Updates: If an update is available for the game, click on the update notification or look for an option to download and install the update. Ubisoft Connect will initiate the update process, which may require some time depending on the size of the update and the speed of your internet connection.
- Restart Ubisoft Connect: After the update is installed, close Ubisoft Connect and relaunch it. This step ensures that the updated game files are properly integrated into the system.
- Test the Game: Launch the updated Ubisoft game and check if the unrecoverable error still occurs. If the error persists, proceed to the next fix. If the error is resolved, you can now enjoy the game without any interruptions.
It is important to keep your Ubisoft games up to date to benefit from bug fixes, performance enhancements, and compatibility improvements. Checking for game-specific patches and updates through Ubisoft Connect ensures that you have the latest versions of the game files, reducing the likelihood of encountering the unrecoverable error.
If the issue persists even after installing the latest updates, you may need to consider reaching out to Ubisoft Support for further assistance or exploring alternative troubleshooting steps specific to the game you are experiencing the error with.
Fix 7: Perform a System Reset on Steam Deck
If all the previous fixes have been unsuccessful in resolving the unrecoverable error on your Steam Deck with Ubisoft Connect, performing a system reset may help resolve any underlying software or configuration issues. Here’s how you can perform a system reset:
- Back Up Important Data: Before proceeding with a system reset, it is crucial to back up any important files, game saves, or data stored on your Steam Deck. This ensures that you can restore your valuable content after the reset process.
- Access System Settings: Open the settings menu on your Steam Deck and navigate to the system or general settings.
- Find the Reset Option: Look for an option that allows you to reset the system or restore factory settings. This option may vary depending on the specific operating system running on your Steam Deck. It could be labeled as “Reset,” “Restore Factory Settings,” or something similar.
- Initiate the System Reset: Select the reset option and confirm your decision when prompted. Be aware that a system reset will erase all data and installed applications on your Steam Deck. Make sure you have backed up your important files before proceeding.
- Follow the On-Screen Prompts: The system reset process may take some time to complete. Follow the on-screen prompts to finalize the reset and wait for the process to finish.
- Set Up the Steam Deck: Once the system reset is complete, you will need to set up your Steam Deck again, similar to the initial setup process. Follow the on-screen instructions to configure your preferred settings.
- Reinstall Ubisoft Connect and Games: After setting up your Steam Deck, reinstall Ubisoft Connect and any affected games from scratch. Ensure you have a stable internet connection to download and install the latest versions of both the software and games.
- Test Ubisoft Connect: Launch Ubisoft Connect and check if the unrecoverable error still occurs. If the error is resolved, you can start enjoying your Ubisoft games on the Steam Deck again.
Performing a system reset is a more drastic step, but it can help eliminate complex software conflicts or configuration issues that might be causing the unrecoverable error. However, remember to back up your important data beforehand and be prepared to reinstall and set up all your applications and games after the reset.
By performing a system reset, you can essentially start with a clean slate on your Steam Deck, increasing the chances of resolving the unrecoverable error and ensuring a smoother gaming experience with Ubisoft Connect.
Fix 8: Contact Ubisoft Support
If you have tried all the previous fixes and are still unable to resolve the unrecoverable error on your Steam Deck, it may be necessary to seek assistance from Ubisoft Support. They have dedicated teams to help players troubleshoot and resolve technical issues. Here’s what you can do:
- Visit the Ubisoft Support Website: Go to the official Ubisoft Support website using a web browser on your Steam Deck or another device.
- Access the Support Section: Look for the “Support” or “Help” section on the website. This section usually provides options for contacting Ubisoft Support.
- Choose the Contact Method: Ubisoft Support offers various contact methods, such as live chat, email support, or submitting a support ticket. Select the contact method that best suits your preferences.
- Describe the Issue: When reaching out to Ubisoft Support, provide a detailed description of the unrecoverable error you are experiencing on your Steam Deck. Include any relevant information, such as error messages, steps you have already taken to troubleshoot, and the specific game or games affected.
- Provide System Information: Ubisoft Support may ask for specific details about your Steam Deck’s hardware and software configurations. Be prepared to provide information such as the model of your Steam Deck, operating system version, and any relevant system specifications.
- Follow the Support Team’s Guidance: Once you have contacted Ubisoft Support, their team will guide you through the troubleshooting process. They may provide additional steps or ask for further information to diagnose and resolve the issue.
- Implement the Recommended Solutions: Follow the instructions provided by the Ubisoft Support team. They may suggest specific fixes or workarounds tailored to your situation. Implement the recommended solutions and test Ubisoft Connect and the affected game again.
By contacting Ubisoft Support, you can tap into their expertise and knowledge base to find a solution for the unrecoverable error on your Steam Deck. Their dedicated support team is equipped to handle technical issues and can provide personalized assistance to get you back to enjoying your Ubisoft games seamlessly.
Remember to remain patient and provide any requested information promptly to ensure a smooth communication process with Ubisoft Support.
Preventing the unrecoverable error on steam deck
To minimize the chances of encountering the unrecoverable error with Ubisoft Connect on your Steam Deck, here are some preventive tips to follow:
Keep Ubisoft Connect and Games Updated
Regularly check for updates to Ubisoft Connect and your Ubisoft games. Installing the latest patches and updates ensures that you have the most stable and optimized versions, reducing the risk of encountering compatibility issues.
Verify System Requirements
Before purchasing or installing a Ubisoft game on your Steam Deck, verify that your system meets the minimum and recommended requirements. Pay attention to factors such as processor, RAM, graphics card, and available storage space. Ensure your Steam Deck can handle the game’s demands to avoid performance issues.
Maintain a Stable Internet Connection
A stable internet connection is essential for smooth gameplay on Ubisoft Connect. Unstable or intermittent internet connectivity can result in connectivity issues, including the unrecoverable error. Use a reliable and fast internet connection to ensure a consistent gaming experience.
Use Trusted Security Software
Install reputable antivirus software and keep it updated. It helps protect your Steam Deck from malware and potential threats. However, ensure that the antivirus software does not interfere with the functioning of Ubisoft Connect. Add Ubisoft Connect to the software’s exception list or configure it accordingly.
Avoid Overlapping Gaming Platforms
Running multiple gaming platforms simultaneously on your Steam Deck, such as Ubisoft Connect, Steam, or Epic Games Store, can lead to conflicts. Close any unnecessary gaming platforms or services when playing Ubisoft games to minimize potential issues.
Optimize Steam Deck Performance
Regularly optimize the performance of your Steam Deck by closing unnecessary background applications and processes. This ensures that sufficient system resources are available for Ubisoft Connect and the games you play.
Keep Steam Deck Drivers Updated
Stay up to date with the latest drivers for your Steam Deck’s hardware components, such as the graphics card and audio drivers. Regularly check the manufacturer’s website for driver updates and install them to benefit from performance improvements and bug fixes.
Maintain Adequate Storage Space
Ensure that your Steam Deck has sufficient free storage space for game installations and updates. Running low on storage can lead to file corruption or hinder the proper functioning of Ubisoft Connect. Regularly manage and free up storage space on your device.
By following these preventive tips, you can minimize the occurrence of the unrecoverable error and enjoy a seamless gaming experience on your Steam Deck with Ubisoft Connect. Remember to stay proactive and keep your system optimized and up to date to prevent any potential issues.
Encountering an unrecoverable error with Ubisoft Connect on the Steam Deck can be frustrating. However, by following the troubleshooting steps provided, such as updating Ubisoft Connect, verifying game files, disabling conflicting software, and seeking assistance from Ubisoft Support if needed, users can overcome this issue. It is crucial to keep the system updated, check for game-specific updates, and follow preventive measures to minimize the occurrence of the error. By staying proactive and addressing potential compatibility and technical issues, users can enjoy a smoother gaming experience on their Steam Deck with Ubisoft Connect.
It’s an error that prevents smooth functioning of Ubisoft Connect on the Steam Deck.
The error can occur due to outdated software, incompatible system requirements, or corrupted game files.
You can try updating Ubisoft Connect, verifying game files, disabling conflicting software, or contacting Ubisoft Support.
Yes, updating firmware and drivers can address compatibility issues and improve performance.
If the error continues, consider performing a system reset or reaching out to Ubisoft Support.
Keep Ubisoft Connect and games updated, maintain stable internet, use trusted security software, and optimize Steam Deck performance.