The Amazon Firestick is one of the best devices to stream a variety of content. From watching videos to online gaming, there is so much you can do with it. While all that is good, you must also know that your internet service provider can see and track everything you do on it. Would you really prefer that?
Also, not every piece of content on Firestick can be streamed in a specific country. In other words, people can only access some content in their actual locations. Would you like to watch international content?
Most Firestick users answer ‘yes’ to both these questions. If you are among them, setting up a VPN on Firestick is the ideal next step. That is exactly what we will teach you in this post.
How to Choose a VPN for Your Firestick?
Today, there are many options when it comes to VPNs. So, it can be difficult to pick a suitable one for yourself. But to get a high-quality VPN service that offers secure and lag-free streaming, you must consider its features.
Here are some features to consider when choosing a VPN for your Firestick.
- Presence of a dedicated app for Firestick: It is important to find VPNs with a dedicated Firestick app. The service should be compatible with various Fire TV devices. These include 4K devices or 2nd and 3rd generation Firestick.
- Excellent speed: The VPN you choose for your Firestick should provide fast speeds. It will let you stream without any interruptions like buffering. Thus, you can watch in 4K and HD smoothly.
- Huge selection of servers: Do you wish to enjoy international content on your Firestick? If so, choosing a service with thousands of servers in multiple locations worldwide is a must.
- Unblocking abilities: A good VPN unblocks the top streaming sites, such as Netflix and Hulu. With it, you can easily eliminate geo-restrictions and stream content from the US, Germany, India, and any other place.
- Robust security and privacy: As a Firestick user, you may use third-party streaming apps like Titanium TV or Cinema HD. Their content can be pirated, making you vulnerable to legal issues. Also, you must ensure that all your activities on Firestick are secure, anonymous, and private. So, choose a VPN that offers security features like a zero-logs policy, which does not allow governments to monitor your activities.
Setting up a VPN on a Firestick
Now that you know how to pick the right VPN, it’s time to set it up on your device. One of the best services with all the features explained above is ExpressVPN. The VPN is perfect for those wanting to stream geo-restricted content or applications that boost security by hiding your IP address. The VPN also has a dedicated Firestick app compatible with all Amazon Fire TV products.
Before setting up ExpressVPN on your Firestick, you must purchase its subscription. After buying a suitable plan, follow these steps to install it on your Firestick from the Amazon Store.
- Access the home screen of your Firestick and input ‘ExpressVPN’ on the search bar.
- Tap the first search result.
- Now, click the ‘Download’ option.
- The VPN will start downloading. It will install in a few minutes.
- Tap ‘Open’ once it downloads.
That’s all you need to do to install ExpressVPN on your device. An alternative method to getting this VPN on your device is by sideloading the VPN’s APK on Firestick. This technique is appropriate for those who cannot get ExpressVPN from the official Amazon Store.
How to Find Whether Your VPN Is Working on Your Firestick
A VPN on Firestick increases the security of your connection. It also gives you access to worldwide catalogs across top streaming services. However, sometimes, you may find yourself being concerned about whether your VPN is functioning correctly or not.
Luckily, it is very simple to find whether the VPN you have installed is doing its job properly or not. You can determine that in two ways. We have explained both of them below.
- Examine Your IP Address
Another effective way to check if your VPN is working properly is by examining your IP address. Your IP address refers to a unique string of numbers that define your location and your device.
To find your normal IP address, go to the ‘Settings’ section from the homepage of your Firestick. Now, access ‘My Fire TV’ and tap ‘Network.’ You can see your usual IP address on the right side. Note this IP address somewhere where you can access it later.
Now, go to the app of your VPN service. Link to your desired server. From here, see if your real IP address has changed. To do so, visit whatismyip.com. Compare the address shown on this website to your Firestick’s actual IP address. If it is different, it means your VPN is connected correctly and working as intended.
- Check the Streaming Content Available
This is the quickest and easiest way to check the working of your VPN. After installing your preferred VPN, connect to a server outside of your location. Suppose you are in Canada and connect to a server in the UK.
Now, visit the streaming platform of your choice. You should see a different homepage with different content options. For example, you will see different movies and TV shows only offered in the UK. It indicates that your VPN is working as intended.
But if you see the same home page with the same content options offered in your location, your VPN isn’t functioning correctly.
For regular Firestick users, installing a good paid VPN on their device offers many advantages. From watching geo-restricted content to enhancing your online privacy, it makes your streaming experience a lot better. Always ensure to pick a VPN after considering its features. Follow the procedure to install it on your Firestick properly, and you will be all set for a seamless viewing experience!