Elden Ring, the highly anticipated action role-playing game developed by FromSoftware, has captivated gamers with its immersive world and challenging gameplay. However, nothing is more frustrating for a player than encountering issues with saving their progress. One such problem that many Elden Ring players have faced is the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error. This error message can be disheartening, as it jeopardizes hours of invested gameplay. In this article, we will delve into the causes behind this issue and provide you with effective solutions to fix it.
Understanding the error
When players encounter the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error in Elden Ring, it means that there has been a problem with saving their game progress. This can occur due to various reasons, including technical glitches, software conflicts, or issues with the storage device. When the error appears, players may lose their progress and find themselves unable to save their game data. However, there’s no need to despair, as there are several steps you can take to resolve this frustrating issue.
Common Causes of the error
- Software Bugs and Glitches: In some cases, the error may be caused by bugs or glitches within the game itself. These issues can corrupt the game’s save data and prevent successful saving.
- Insufficient Storage Space: If your storage device, whether it’s a hard drive or solid-state drive, is running out of space, it can lead to errors while saving game data. Insufficient storage may cause corruption or incomplete saving processes.
- Conflicts with Antivirus or Firewall Software: Antivirus or firewall software can sometimes interfere with the game’s saving process, mistakenly identifying it as a threat and preventing successful saves.
- Outdated Game or System Software: Using outdated versions of Elden Ring or your gaming platform’s system software can introduce compatibility issues, potentially leading to save data corruption.
How to fix failed to save game save data is corrupted elden ring
Fix 1: Restart the Game and System
When encountering the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error in Elden Ring, the first step you should take is to restart both the game and your gaming system. Follow these detailed steps to perform a proper restart:
- Save and Exit: If you are currently in the game, save your progress if possible and exit to the main menu. This ensures that any temporary glitches are not carried over when you restart.
- Close the Game: Completely close the Elden Ring game. On most gaming platforms, you can do this by pressing the “Home” or “Menu” button on your controller, navigating to the game’s icon, and selecting the option to close or quit the game.
- Power Off the System: Power off your gaming system. Depending on the platform, you may need to press and hold the power button on the console or use the power options in the system menu.
- Unplug the Power Cord: After turning off the system, unplug the power cord from the console or wall socket. Leave it unplugged for at least 30 seconds. This step helps to clear any residual power and allows for a fresh start.
- Reconnect and Power On: Plug the power cord back into the console or wall socket and power on your gaming system. Wait for it to fully boot up and ensure that the system is running smoothly.
- Launch the Game: Once the system is up and running, launch Elden Ring again. Load your saved game or start a new one, depending on your preference.
- Attempt to Save: Play the game for a while and attempt to save your progress. Check if the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error persists. If the error no longer appears, you have successfully resolved the issue. However, if the error persists, move on to the next fix.
By restarting the game and your gaming system, you are essentially refreshing the software and clearing any temporary glitches that may have been causing the save data corruption issue. It is a simple yet effective step that often resolves common problems.
Fix 2: Check Storage Space
Insufficient storage space on your storage device can lead to errors while saving game data, including the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error. Follow these detailed steps to check and manage your storage space effectively:
- Access Storage Settings: Navigate to the system settings menu on your gaming platform. Look for the “Storage” or “Memory” option and select it to access storage settings.
- Check Available Space: In the storage settings, you should be able to see the available space on your storage device. Take note of the amount of free space remaining.
- Delete Unnecessary Files: If you find that your storage space is running low, it’s time to free up some space. Go through your game files, screenshots, videos, and other saved data, and delete any unnecessary or unwanted files.
- Clear Temporary Files: Games often generate temporary files that can take up a significant amount of space over time. Look for an option in the storage settings to clear temporary files or cache. Select this option to remove unnecessary temporary data.
- Move or Archive Files: If you have large game files or saved data that you don’t want to delete permanently, consider moving them to an external storage device or archiving them. This will free up space on your primary storage while still allowing you to access the files if needed.
- Verify Available Space: Once you have cleared up space by deleting unnecessary files or moving them to external storage, check the available space again to ensure that you have sufficient room for saving your game data.
- Attempt to Save: Launch Elden Ring and try to save your progress. Check if the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error persists. If the error no longer appears, you have successfully resolved the issue. However, if the error persists, proceed to the next fix.
By managing your storage space effectively, you ensure that there is enough room for the game to save your progress without encountering any corruption issues. Regularly monitoring and clearing up space on your storage device can help prevent save data corruption errors in the future.
Fix 3: Update Game and System Software
Using outdated versions of Elden Ring or your gaming platform’s system software can introduce compatibility issues, potentially leading to save data corruption. Follow these detailed steps to update your game and system software:
- Check for Game Updates: Launch Elden Ring and navigate to the game’s main menu or options. Look for an option such as “Game Updates,” “Patches,” or “Software Updates.” Select it to check for available updates.
- Download and Install Updates: If updates are available, follow the on-screen prompts to download and install them. Make sure you have a stable internet connection to ensure a smooth update process.
- Restart the Game: After the updates have been successfully installed, exit the game completely and relaunch it. This ensures that the updated version is running.
- Check for System Updates: Access the system settings menu on your gaming platform. Look for an option such as “System Updates,” “Software Updates,” or “Firmware Updates.” Select it to check for available system updates.
- Download and Install System Updates: If system updates are available, follow the instructions provided to download and install them. This may require your gaming system to restart, so save any unsaved work before proceeding.
- Restart the System: After installing system updates, restart your gaming system to ensure that the changes take effect.
- Launch the Game and Attempt to Save: Once your system is up and running, launch Elden Ring and try saving your progress. Check if the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error persists. If the error no longer appears, you have successfully resolved the issue. However, if the error persists, move on to the next fix.
Updating both the game and system software ensures that you have the latest bug fixes, improvements, and compatibility updates. These updates can often address issues that may be causing save data corruption in Elden Ring. Regularly checking for and installing updates is crucial for a smooth gaming experience.
Read more: Hulu error code p-dev313
Fix 4: Reinstall the Game
If all else fails, reinstalling Elden Ring can help resolve any underlying software conflicts that may be causing the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error. Follow these detailed steps to reinstall the game:
- Backup Save Data (if possible): Before uninstalling the game, check if there is an option to backup your save data. Some games provide the option to back up your progress either to the cloud or to an external storage device. If available, follow the game’s instructions to back up your save data to prevent any potential loss.
- Uninstall Elden Ring: Access the system settings menu on your gaming platform and navigate to the “Applications,” “Storage,” or “Games & Apps” section. Locate Elden Ring in the list of installed applications and select it. Choose the option to uninstall the game and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
- Restart the System: After uninstalling the game, restart your gaming system. This step helps to clear any residual data and prepares the system for a fresh installation.
- Download or Reinstall Elden Ring: Depending on your gaming platform, you may need to download the game from an online store or insert the game disc to reinstall it. Follow the platform’s instructions to download or reinstall Elden Ring onto your system.
- Restore Backup Save Data (if applicable): If you were able to back up your save data in the first step, follow the game’s instructions to restore your progress from the backup. This step ensures that you can continue from where you left off without losing any saved data.
- Launch the Game and Attempt to Save: Once Elden Ring is successfully reinstalled, launch the game and try saving your progress. Check if the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error persists. If the error no longer appears, you have successfully resolved the issue.
Reinstalling the game provides a fresh start and can help resolve any conflicts or issues that were causing the save data corruption error. Remember to follow the necessary steps to back up your save data before uninstalling the game to avoid any potential data loss.
Fix 5: Use Multiple Save Slots
If you are consistently encountering the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error in Elden Ring, utilizing multiple save slots can help mitigate the risk of losing all your progress. Follow these steps to effectively use multiple save slots:
- Access the Game’s Save Menu: In Elden Ring, navigate to the game’s save menu or options. This is usually accessible from the main menu or in-game pause menu.
- Create Additional Save Slots: Look for an option to create additional save slots or multiple save files. Select this option to create new slots for saving your progress. Ideally, aim for at least two or three extra slots.
- Save in Different Slots: Each time you want to save your game progress, choose a different save slot. Avoid overwriting the same slot repeatedly. By distributing your saves across multiple slots, you minimize the risk of all your progress being affected by a single corrupted save.
- Regularly Rotate Save Slots: As you continue playing Elden Ring, make it a habit to rotate through your available save slots. For example, if you previously saved in Slot 1, save your progress in Slot 2 or Slot 3 on your next playthrough. This ensures that even if one slot becomes corrupted, you still have access to previous uncorrupted saves.
- Monitor and Manage Save Files: Periodically check your save files to ensure they are not becoming excessively large or showing signs of corruption. If you notice any abnormalities, consider archiving or deleting older save files to maintain a clean and organized save system.
By using multiple save slots, you distribute the risk of save data corruption and reduce the likelihood of losing all your progress due to a single corrupted save. It provides a backup system that allows you to access previous saves and continue playing Elden Ring even if one slot encounters an error. Remember to regularly rotate your saves and monitor their integrity to ensure a reliable and consistent saving experience.
Fix 6: Verify Game Files Integrity
If you are experiencing persistent save data corruption issues in Elden Ring, verifying the integrity of game files can help identify and fix any corrupted or missing files that may be causing the problem. Follow these steps to verify the game files integrity:
- Exit Elden Ring: Ensure that the game is not running and completely exit it. Return to your gaming platform’s home screen or desktop.
- Access Game Library: Navigate to your gaming platform’s library or game management section. This is where you can view and manage your installed games.
- Locate Elden Ring: Find Elden Ring in your game library. On most platforms, you can do this by searching for the game title or locating it alphabetically.
- Access Properties or Options: Right-click (or equivalent) on Elden Ring and select the option that allows you to access the game’s properties or options. This may be called “Properties,” “Manage Game,” or something similar.
- Verify Game Files Integrity: Look for an option within the game properties or options that allows you to verify the integrity or validate the game files. Select this option to initiate the verification process.
- Wait for Verification: The platform will now check the game files for any errors, corruption, or missing files. This process may take some time, so be patient and allow it to complete.
- Repair or Reinstall: Once the verification process is finished, the platform will notify you if any issues are found. If errors or corrupted files are detected, follow the platform’s instructions to repair or reinstall the affected files.
- Launch the Game and Attempt to Save: After repairing or reinstalling any corrupted files, launch Elden Ring and try saving your progress. Check if the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error persists. If the error no longer appears, you have successfully resolved the issue.
Verifying the integrity of game files helps identify and fix any issues with corrupted or missing files that may be causing save data corruption. This process ensures that your game installation is complete and error-free, reducing the risk of encountering save-related issues in Elden Ring.
Fix 7: Check and Update Storage Device Drivers
Sometimes, outdated or faulty storage device drivers can contribute to save data corruption issues in Elden Ring. Follow these steps to check and update your storage device drivers:
- Determine the Storage Device: Identify the storage device you are using to save your game data. It could be an internal hard drive, external hard drive, or solid-state drive (SSD).
- Access Device Manager: On your computer, press the Windows key + X to open the Power User menu. From the menu, select “Device Manager” to open the Device Manager window.
- Expand Disk Drives: In the Device Manager window, locate and expand the “Disk Drives” category. This will display a list of all the storage devices connected to your computer.
- Check Storage Device Driver: Identify the driver associated with the storage device you are using for Elden Ring. Right-click on the storage device driver and select “Properties” from the context menu.
- Check Driver Version: In the Properties window, navigate to the “Driver” tab. Note the driver version and compare it to the latest version available from the manufacturer’s website.
- Update the Driver: If a newer version of the storage device driver is available, visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver. Follow the provided instructions to install the updated driver on your system.
- Restart the Computer: After the driver update is complete, restart your computer to ensure that the changes take effect.
- Launch Elden Ring and Attempt to Save: Once your computer has restarted, launch Elden Ring and try saving your progress. Check if the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error persists. If the error no longer appears, you have successfully resolved the issue.
Updating your storage device drivers ensures that the communication between your computer and the storage device is optimized and reduces the risk of data corruption during the saving process. By keeping the drivers up to date, you can enhance the stability and performance of your storage device, minimizing the likelihood of encountering save data corruption in Elden Ring.
Fix 8: Test with a Different Storage Device
If you have exhausted all other options and are still experiencing persistent save data corruption in Elden Ring, it’s possible that the issue lies with your current storage device. To determine if this is the case, you can test the game with a different storage device. Follow these steps:
- Obtain a Different Storage Device: Obtain an alternative storage device, such as an external hard drive or a USB flash drive, with sufficient storage capacity to accommodate the game and your save data.
- Format the New Storage Device (if necessary): If the new storage device is not already formatted in a compatible file system, you may need to format it. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions or use your computer’s disk management utility to format the new storage device.
- Backup Existing Save Data (if possible): If you have any existing save data on your current storage device, it is essential to back it up before proceeding. Copy the save files to a separate location, such as your computer’s hard drive or cloud storage, to ensure their safety.
- Install Elden Ring on the New Storage Device: Install a fresh copy of Elden Ring on the new storage device. Follow the regular installation process, making sure to select the new storage device as the installation location.
- Launch the Game and Attempt to Save: After the installation is complete, launch Elden Ring from the new storage device and play the game. Attempt to save your progress and monitor if the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error persists.
- Observe for Improvement: Pay close attention to any changes in the game’s performance and whether the save data corruption issue occurs or not. If the error does not occur with the new storage device, it indicates that the problem may lie with the original storage device.
If the save data corruption issue is resolved when using the new storage device, it suggests that there may be a problem with the original storage device. Consider replacing or repairing the faulty storage device to ensure a reliable and error-free gaming experience in Elden Ring.
Fix 9: Contact Game Support or Seek Professional Help
If you have tried all the previous fixes and are still encountering the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error in Elden Ring, it may be time to reach out for assistance. Consider the following steps:
- Gather Information: Before reaching out for support, gather all the relevant information about the issue you are facing. Take note of the exact error message, the steps you have already taken to troubleshoot, and any specific details about your gaming platform and setup.
- Check Game Support Resources: Visit the official Elden Ring website or the developer’s support page to see if there are any known issues or specific troubleshooting guides available. Look for FAQs, forums, or knowledge bases that might provide insight into the save data corruption problem.
- Contact Game Support: If you haven’t found a solution through online resources, it’s time to reach out to the game’s support team. Locate the official support contact information, such as an email address or a customer support phone number, and get in touch with them. Provide a detailed description of the issue, including the steps you have already taken.
- Follow Support Instructions: Once you have contacted game support, follow their instructions and recommendations for troubleshooting the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error. They may ask for additional information, request logs or screenshots, or provide specific steps to try and resolve the issue.
- Seek Professional Help: If all else fails, and you are still unable to fix the problem, consider seeking professional help. Reach out to a reputable gaming technician or a local gaming console repair service for assistance. They have the expertise to diagnose and resolve complex gaming hardware or software issues.
Remember, game support teams and professional technicians have experience dealing with a wide range of gaming issues and may be able to provide a tailored solution to your specific problem. Don’t hesitate to ask for help when needed, as they can offer valuable insights and guidance to get you back to enjoying your Elden Ring experience.
Preventing Tips to Avoid Save Data Corruption in Elden Ring
Save data corruption can be a frustrating issue in Elden Ring, but there are steps you can take to prevent it from happening. By following these tips, you can minimize the risk of encountering the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error and ensure a smoother gaming experience.
- Regularly Back up Your Save Data: Make it a habit to regularly back up your save data to an external storage device, cloud storage, or another secure location. This way, even if save data corruption occurs, you’ll have a recent backup to fall back on and minimize progress loss.
- Keep Your Storage Device in Good Condition: Maintain your storage device properly by keeping it free from physical damage, dust, and excessive heat. Regularly clean the device and ensure it has adequate ventilation to prevent overheating, which can lead to data corruption.
- Avoid Interrupting Saving Processes: When saving your game in Elden Ring, avoid interrupting the process by turning off the system or disconnecting the storage device. Allow the saving process to complete fully before exiting the game or shutting down your gaming platform.
- Update Game and System Software: Keep Elden Ring and your gaming platform’s system software up to date. Developers often release patches and updates that address bugs and improve compatibility, reducing the risk of save data corruption.
- Monitor Storage Space: Regularly check the available storage space on your device. Ensure that you have enough free space to accommodate game saves. Delete unnecessary files or consider upgrading to a larger capacity storage device if needed.
- Use Stable Power Supply: Ensure your gaming platform is connected to a stable power source to prevent sudden power outages or fluctuations that could lead to data corruption during the saving process. Consider using a surge protector to protect against power surges.
- Avoid Modifying Game Files: Modifying game files or using unauthorized mods can introduce compatibility issues and increase the risk of save data corruption. Stick to official game versions and avoid using unauthorized modifications.
- Close Unnecessary Background Applications: Closing unnecessary background applications and processes while playing Elden Ring can help ensure optimal performance and reduce the likelihood of software conflicts that could impact save data integrity.
By following these preventative tips, you can reduce the chances of encountering save data corruption in Elden Ring. Remember to prioritize regular backups, keep your storage device and system updated, and maintain a stable gaming environment. These proactive measures will help safeguard your progress and enhance your overall gaming experience.
Encountering the “Failed to Save Game: Save Data is Corrupted” error in Elden Ring can be frustrating. However, by following the provided fixes such as restarting the game and system, checking storage space, updating software, and seeking assistance if needed, players can overcome this issue. Implementing preventative measures like regular backups, maintaining storage devices, and being mindful of saving processes can help prevent future save data corruption. By taking these steps, players can enjoy a smoother gaming experience and avoid the disappointment of losing their progress. Remember, staying proactive and informed is key to preserving your Elden Ring adventure.
It means there’s a problem saving game progress, potentially leading to data corruption.
Software bugs, insufficient storage space, conflicts with antivirus/firewall, and outdated game/system software.
Try restarting the game/system, check storage space, update software, and use multiple save slots.
Contact game support or seek professional help for further assistance.
It’s recommended to regularly back up your save data to prevent loss in case of corruption.
Yes, outdated or faulty storage device drivers can contribute to save data corruption.
Yes, it’s crucial to let the saving process complete before exiting the game or turning off the system.
Yes, maintaining storage devices, monitoring storage space, and keeping software up to date can help prevent the error.