We’ve all been there: you’re excited to log into League of Legends (LoL) for an epic gaming session, only to be met with the dreaded ‘unexpected error found during login’ message. This article delves into the common causes of these errors and offers step-by-step solutions to help you quickly get back in the game. Armed with this knowledge, you’ll be better prepared to overcome any unexpected obstacles in the future.
Common Causes of Unexpected Errors During Login
1. Scheduled Maintenance
League of Legends servers occasionally undergo scheduled maintenance. During these periods, logging in may not be possible. Keep an eye on the official LoL website or social media channels for updates on scheduled maintenance.
2. Unscheduled Downtime
Server crashes or unexpected technical issues can result in unscheduled downtime, preventing login. Check the LoL server status page or community forums for real-time updates and to confirm if it’s a widespread issue.
3. Internet Connection
A weak or unstable internet connection can trigger login errors. Ensure that you have a stable connection by running a speed test or resetting your modem and router.
4. Firewall and Antivirus Conflicts
Firewalls and antivirus software may mistakenly block League of Legends, causing login errors. Whitelist the game in your firewall and antivirus settings to resolve this issue.
5. Corrupted Game Files
Corrupted or missing game files can cause unexpected errors during login. Repairing or reinstalling the game can resolve this problem.
How to Fix Unexpected Errors During Login?
Fix 1: Check Server Status
- Step 1: Visit the official LoL server status page: Access the official League of Legends server status page at https://status.riotgames.com/lol or your regional equivalent.
- Step 2: Check for active incidents or maintenance: Look for any ongoing incidents or scheduled maintenance that may be affecting the game’s login servers.
- Step 3: Monitor community forums: Visit community forums like Reddit’s r/leagueoflegends or the official LoL forums to gather information from fellow players about server issues.
- Step 4: Follow LoL social media channels: Follow the official League of Legends Twitter and Facebook accounts for real-time updates on server issues or maintenance.
- Step 5: Be patient: If the server status page confirms an issue, wait for Riot Games to resolve it before attempting to log in again.
Fix 2: Change Regions
- Step 1: Launch the LoL client: Open the League of Legends launcher on your computer.
- Step 2: Locate the region selection option: Before logging in, find the region selection dropdown menu, usually located at the bottom right corner of the launcher.
- Step 3: Choose a different region: Click on the dropdown menu and select a different region from the list. Ideally, choose one with better server stability or without known issues.
- Step 4: Adjust language settings (optional): If needed, adjust the language settings to your preference by clicking on the language option next to the region dropdown menu.
- Step 5: Log in with your account credentials: Enter your username and password, then click the “Login” button to log into the game using the new region.
- Step 6: Play with caution: Remember that changing regions may affect your in-game experience, such as increased latency or language barriers. Switch back to your original region once the issue is resolved.
- Step 7: Monitor server status for your original region: Regularly check the server status page and community forums for updates on your original region’s server issues. When the problem is resolved, switch back to enjoy a better gaming experience.
Fix 3: Test and Reset Your Internet Connection
- Step 1: Test your internet connection: Visit an internet speed test website, such as Speedtest.net or Fast.com, to check your current connection speed and stability.
- Step 2: Compare results with your plan: Compare the test results with the internet speed you’re paying for. If there’s a significant difference, it’s possible you’re experiencing connection issues.
- Step 3: Restart your computer: Before resetting your modem and router, try restarting your computer to see if the issue resolves itself.
- Step 4: Power off your modem and router: Unplug your modem and router from the power source, waiting for at least 30 seconds to allow them to fully power down.
- Step 5: Reconnect the modem and router: Plug the modem and router back into the power source and wait for them to fully reboot. This process may take a few minutes.
- Step 6: Check the status lights: Ensure that the modem and router status lights indicate a stable internet connection. Consult your devices’ user manuals for guidance on understanding the status lights.
- Step 7: Re-test your internet connection: Visit the internet speed test website again to check your connection speed and stability after resetting your modem and router.
- Step 8: Connect to the game: If your internet connection has improved, try logging into League of Legends to see if the issue is resolved.
- Step 9: Contact your internet service provider (ISP): If the issue persists, consider contacting your ISP for assistance in resolving your internet connection problems. They may be able to provide further troubleshooting steps or identify issues with their network.
Fix 4: Game File Fixes
Fixing game files is crucial when dealing with unexpected errors during login caused by corrupted or missing game files in League of Legends. Two primary methods for addressing these issues are repairing the game and reinstalling the game. Here are the detailed steps for each method:
- Step 1: Launch the LoL client: Open the League of Legends launcher on your computer.
- Step 2: Access the settings menu: Click the gear icon in the top right corner of the launcher before logging in to open the settings menu.
- Step 3: Start the repair process: Find the “Initiate Full Repair” button in the settings menu and click it to begin the built-in repair tool.
- Step 4: Wait for the repair to finish: The repair process may take a while to complete, depending on the severity of the issues. Be patient and allow it to finish.
- Step 5: Restart the launcher: After the repair is done, close and reopen the launcher to make sure the changes are applied.
- Step 6: Attempt to log in: Try logging into the game again. If the problem persists, proceed to reinstall the game.
Fix 5: Reinstall the Game
- Step 1: Uninstall League of Legends: Go to the Control Panel or system settings on your computer, locate the “Uninstall a program” option, find League of Legends in the list, click it, and choose “Uninstall.”
- Step 2: Remove remaining game files (optional): For a clean installation, manually delete any leftover game files on your computer. This step is optional but recommended.
- Step 3: Download the latest LoL installer: Visit the official League of Legends website and download the newest version of the game installer for your region.
- Step 4: Install the game: Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install the game. The installation process may vary in duration, depending on your internet connection and computer performance.
- Step 5: Open the LoL client: After the installation is complete, launch the League of Legends launcher.
- Step 6: Login and play: Input your username and password, click the “Login” button to log into the game, and enjoy your gaming session if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 6: Repair the Game
- Step 1: Open the LoL launcher: Launch the League of Legends client on your computer.
- Step 2: Access settings: Before logging in, click the gear icon in the top right corner of the launcher to open the settings menu.
- Step 3: Initiate the repair process: In the settings menu, locate the “Initiate Full Repair” button and click on it. This will start the built-in repair tool.
- Step 4: Wait for the repair to complete: The repair process may take some time to complete, depending on the extent of the issues. Be patient and wait for it to finish.
- Step 5: Restart the launcher: Once the repair is complete, close the launcher and reopen it to ensure the changes take effect.
- Step 6: Attempt to log in: Try logging into the game again. If the issue persists, proceed to Fix 6 (Reinstall the Game).
Fix 7: Update Graphics Card Drivers
Updating your graphics card drivers can help resolve login errors related to graphics or rendering issues in League of Legends. Here are the detailed steps:
- Step 1: Determine your graphics card model: Right-click on the desktop, select “Display settings” or “Screen resolution,” and then click “Advanced settings” to find your graphics card model.
- Step 2: Visit the manufacturer’s website: Go to the official website of your graphics card manufacturer, such as NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel, to locate the latest drivers for your specific model.
- Step 3: Download the appropriate driver: Download the latest driver compatible with your graphics card model and your operating system (Windows, macOS, or Linux).
- Step 4: Install the driver: Run the downloaded driver installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Step 5: Restart your computer: After the driver installation is complete, restart your computer to ensure the changes take effect.
- Step 6: Attempt to log in: Launch the League of Legends client and try logging into the game to see if the issue is resolved.
Fix 8: Run LoL as Administrator
Running League of Legends as an administrator can help resolve login errors caused by insufficient permissions or conflicts with other software. Follow these steps:
- Step 1: Locate the LoL launcher: Find the League of Legends launcher icon on your desktop or in the folder where the game is installed.
- Step 2: Right-click the launcher: Right-click on the League of Legends launcher icon to reveal a context menu.
- Step 3: Select “Run as administrator”: From the context menu, choose the “Run as administrator” option to grant the launcher elevated permissions.
- Step 4: Confirm the action: If prompted by a User Account Control (UAC) window, click “Yes” or “Allow” to confirm that you want to run the launcher as an administrator.
- Step 5: Attempt to log in: With the launcher running as an administrator, try logging into the game to see if the issue is resolved.
Remember to use these fixes in conjunction with other methods mentioned in this article for a comprehensive approach to resolving unexpected login errors in League of Legends.
Preventing Future Login Errors
A. Keep Your Game Updated
Regularly update League of Legends to ensure you have the latest bug fixes and security patches.
B. Maintain a Stable Internet Connection
Invest in a high-quality router and modem to maintain a stable internet connection, reducing the likelihood of login errors.
C. Regularly Check for Server Issues
Monitor the LoL server status page and community forums to stay informed about potential server issues.
While encountering an unexpected error during login in League of Legends can be frustrating, understanding the common causes and having a clear plan of action can significantly reduce downtime. By staying informed about server issues, maintaining a stable internet connection, and keeping your game updated, you can minimize the chances of running into these errors. With the right troubleshooting strategies and a little patience, you’ll be back on the Rift in no time.
Login errors can be caused by server issues, connectivity problems, or corrupted game files.
Visit the official LoL server status page or monitor community forums for updates on server issues.
Yes, temporarily switching to another region may help you bypass regional server issues.
Reset your modem and router, or invest in a high-quality router and modem for a stable connection.
Add League of Legends to the whitelist or allowed programs in your firewall and antivirus software settings.
Use the built-in repair tool in the LoL launcher to fix corrupted or missing game files.
Yes, uninstalling and reinstalling League of Legends can help resolve persistent login errors.
The LoL launcher automatically updates your game, but ensure you’re running the latest version before playing.
Regularly check the LoL server status page and community forums for updates on server issues.
Keep your game updated, maintain a stable internet connection, and monitor server issues to minimize login errors.