Here we learn all the fundamentals of how to set up voicemail on iPhone. Developed in the 1970s and popular ever since, voicemail is a very convenient method of communicating. It allows both parties i.e. the calling party as well as the receiving party to record a message in case the phone call is unable to be successful. This is a practical way of informing the other party either why we called or why we cannot pick up the call at the very moment.
This article edited by Buddarapu Pravallika
Don’t Miss: How to set up voicemail on your Android
Table of Content
Introduction to voicemail
With the massive wave of technological advancement, the way we communicate has been completely changed. We have the chat system which has completely overtaken the way we communicate. Furthermore, we have live face time video calling to make out communication more realistic. Such as these communication technologies, there exists voicemail, which is a very handy technology. It assists the user by conveying the default or custom message to the caller. Basically, this means, it notifies the caller that the receiver is busy or for some reason, he/she cannot pick up the call. Contrarily, it also allows the caller to record the message for the receiver regarding the matter of his/her calling.
Don’t Miss: iPhone 11 Pro Max
How to set up voicemail on iPhone
The iOS system provides the user with well enough security to access voice mails, no external app needs to be installed. It can be directly seen as a phone option. The setup of voice mail is a simple process. The user needs to set a security pin then record a greeting. This whole process would only take a couple of minutes. Let us see how to set up voice mail step by step
- On the home screen, click on the Phone app.
- Right side bottom, the user can find the voicemail tab. Select the tab.
- There the user can find the Set Up Now button. Tap on the button.
- After doing so, the system asks for a Voicemail password. In the prompt given, any 4-6 digits number which serves as your password. Then select done.
- It asks for confirmation, so re-enter the password to confirm the password.
- Then the user can find two types of options to choose the greeting. If the user chooses default then the system executes the default greeting for the user. The user also has an option to record the greeting. For that, he or she has to select custom. Now the system allows recording the greeting
- Once you record the greeting you have the option to listen to it. One has an option to re-record the greeting if he or she is not satisfied with the recorded one.
- Once the user is satisfied with the greeting, he or she can select the save button.
And that’s all the voicemail is successfully set on your iOS device. From now on, every time a caller calls and you are not available, he or she can listen to your recorded audio. After listening to it, they can send recorded audio to you. Isn’t it simple?
One can access the voicemail anytime by going to the mailbox.
If you have an iPhone and you want to set up a voicemail, it can be a tricky process if you are not so familiar with the technology. Basically, voicemail is a computer-based system that enables a recorded voice message to be sent to someone when they do not answer their phone. In iPhones, you have a voicemail list from which you can listen to the voicemails, organize them or delete them and even save them or share them in apps like iMessage, Airdrop, among others.
Setting up voicemail on iPhone:
In order to set up voicemail on the iPhone, one needs to make sure if the cellular carrier they are using supports it or not. If their carrier does support the voicemail, then the following steps should be followed orderly:
- Go to the phone app, and then on the bottom right of the screen, you can see the Voicemail icon. Tap on the icon.
- Tap on Set Up Now button located in the center of the screen. Now, enter the voicemail old password and then tap on Done if you already have used the voicemail; otherwise, create a password and confirm it and then tap on Done.
- After that, your iPhone shows you the greeting screen where you can either put a default greeting by tapping on the Default option or if you fancy setting a custom greeting, you can tap on custom and then record a new greeting. Finally, tap Save on the top right corner of the screen.
By now, your voicemail should have been set; however, if you still want to learn more, you can click here.
Saving the existing voicemail on iPhone:
One can save the voicemail that is sent to them on their iPhones too. This is a handy feature if you want to keep the voicemail for future reference or send it to your contacts. You can save your voicemail message in various formats, such as a note or voice memo. A voicemail can be saved as a note in the form of a transcription of the voicemail.
To save the voicemail, the following steps are to be followed:
- Step 1: Go to a phone app and then on the bottom right of the screen where you can find the Voicemail icon. Then, tap on the icon.
- Step 2:Tap on the voice mail that you would like to save, after that tap on the share button. The share button in iPhones have a square shape with an arrow pointing towards the top i.e.
- Step 3: Then, you can choose the format via choosing Notes or Voice Memos. You also get the option to copy the voicemail or save to Dropbox, among others, and even AirDrop the file to other Apple devices. In addition to this, you also have an option to save the voicemail message in the default Files app on your iPhone.
However, to save and share your voicemail message, you require a carrier that has the voicemail service. You can contact your carrier for information on the availability of voicemail in their services.
Transferring existing voicemail on your new iPhone:
If you decide to get a new iPhone or simply change your iPhone, you can transfer all your existing voicemail into your new iPhone just by following some simple procedures. To transfer your voicemail, the following steps should be taken:
- Go to the phone app, and then on the bottom right of the screen, you can find the Voicemail icon. Tap on that icon.
- Tap the Set Up Now button and then enter your password on the password field. When you finish with setting your password, press Done.
- After that, you can either keep the custom greeting or use the default greeting as per your wish and then tap Save.
After this simple process, all your existing voicemail in the cloud can get transferred to your new iPhone.
(During the process, if you forget the voicemail password, unfortunately, there is no way to reset it from your iPhone. Hence, you have to call or message your network provider to alter your password for you.)
Visual voicemail on iPhone:
Visual voicemail is a direct-access voicemail that lets you view the voicemail messages that you received and so that you can listen to your messages in any order on your iPhone. In this format of voicemail, you can simply scroll through your messages and tap on the one you want to listen to, and then delete them from your iPhone. Besides that, you can also reply to the messages by either calling back or texting the sender.
To set up the visual voicemail, firstly, you must make sure that the carrier you are using supports the feature of visual voicemail. If your carrier does support it, the go through the steps given below.
- If you do not have the latest version of iOS, make sure you update your iPhone to the newest version of the software.
- Check for your carrier-bundle update by going to Setting > General > About. If an update is available, then you have to install the update.
- Make sure that you have a cellular network connection and that you have set up your voicemail. You can inspect it by ringing your personal phone number from your iPhone and then sending you a self voicemail. Or, you can try to call yourself and leave a voicemail from another phone.
- After leaving the voicemail, go to the phone app and open the keypad, then press and hold on the “1”, you can also press the Call Voicemail button, which then dials the voicemail where you can check if you have any missed messages.
- On the Voicemail screen, you can set your greetings as per your liking by tapping greeting and then altering the address to either one between default and custom.
- In case, you have multiple data/network plan on your iPhone, you can change to the supplementary plan. To do that, call the first number and then try to leave a voicemail.
If you still need an assist with setting up your visual voicemail, you can contact your carrier.
Furthermore, if you still have queries about the voicemail feature on iPhone, you can find answers about your questions on the support page of Apple.
Practicality voicemail on iPhone
Voicemail in iPhones is very useful since it enables the callers to leave a message regarding why they called. And also makes the receiver know why the caller called. Voicemails also come handy when we need to notify the callers if we are in a meeting, driving, or doing any other essential kinds of stuff. So that they could call later. By using voicemail, you don’t have to receive the call telling people to call back then. Also, you can even know which caller requires urgent calling. Or which caller needs to be phoned first as per the priority or the matter of concern.
On the other hand, voicemail allows you to be notified about the callers. Without the use of voice calls, it is straightforward to forget who even called you in the first place. But with the use of voicemail, you can be sleeping and still get the message on who called you and why they called you even if you were sleeping.
All in all, voicemail is very handy, as well as a practical feature in iPhones. Whether you are in a meeting or sleeping, you can notify people of what you are up to. Also, callers can inform you about the purpose of their calling.
To sum up, How to set up voicemail on iPhone? A voicemail in the iPhone is a very handy feature that makes communication more efficient. Just like all the different means of communication that exist today, it contributes to making information sharing better. It is a well-designed communication medium specially meant for conveying a specific message to the caller. The message could be regarding why he could not pick up the call or regarding his busyness. In the same manner, it is also convenient for the callers as it allows them to leave a message. The message may be regarding why they called or maybe to remind the receiver to call them back.
All in all, a voicemail in the iPhone is a very nifty communication tool, oriented towards calling better. As it allows us to leave a message either from the receiver or callers side. Due to this, the message gets delivered even when the phone call is not picked up.