Do you fear your passwords are leaked and want to change them? Do you think that it is necessary to change the passwords of your email id from time to time to make sure that they are secured and protected? Then click to find the step-by-step guide to learn how to change email password on iPhone.
Our emails are one of the most powerful tools that we have in our arsenal. It helps us to be connected to various platforms and devices seamlessly. Plus, It helps us to be in touch with our friends and colleagues and share important information with them. Also, It serves as the means of logging in to various social media and website platforms, where they ask to enter your email id.
Therefore, your email is your digital signature. It is your stamp of approval on anything you do online and if any wrong or malicious activity has been occurred by it then it can be traced back to you. Not only this, if your email is compromised then you can lose a lot of personal information to them as well.
How do you ask? Well, when you set up your phone, you give out the permissions to back up your iPhone data on them, you might also have given your contact info on it along with all of your contacts, not to forget the photos, videos, or other media that you might have stored on the iCloud. Everything can be lost if you’re email id is compromised. You also need to know how to add a new email to iPhone.
Our Emails are protected by passwords, they are set of characters that act as a barrier or lock against the rest of the internet. And if anyone got to know this password, they will be able to retrieve your data. It is important to know how to change your passwords regularly to keep your data protected. It is equally important to make your password a strong set of characters including alphabets, numbers, and special symbols.
Table of Content
- 1 When you should change your password?
- 2 How to change email password on iPhone
- 3 What to do if the iCloud keychain is not active?
- 4 How to change the email password by using the Email Apps in iPhone
- 5 What are the Alternative email Password managers on iPhone?
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 FAQs
When you should change your password?
iPhone comes with the feature of detecting if your passwords have been leaked or if they have been compromised. This is called the iPhone’s iCloud keychain and consists of the collection of different iOS passwords that you might have set up.
If you suspect that the password of your account is leaked or compromised you should immediately change it. the iCloud keychain has the feature of telling you when your account is compromised. Let us see the steps to check how to know if our passwords have been compromised using the iCloud key chain.
- Navigate to the Settings app on the home screen of your iPhone.
- Swipe down to the “Passwords” tab and click on it.
- You will be asked to authenticate with your Face Id or Touch Id to open the password menu. So go ahead and do that.
- In the Passwords menu, you will find a tab called “Security Recommendations”. Select it.
- This menu will show you all your leaked or compromised passwords on any website that you may have logged in to or have emails selected.
- It also shows the priority of your risk of losing data.
- Make sure the toggle of “Detect Compromised Passwords” is on as it will help it to detect the compromised passwords and report them back to you.
We advise you to also change your passwords regularly so that they are kept secured and protected.
- You need to set a strong password one that might not be easy to guess and repeat.
- Use special symbols and capital letters that will make your password ultra-secure and resourceful.
- Also, You should also not use the same passwords or with little variations on multiple websites as they might cause you to be in a threat zone in case of your password is leaked or compromised.
How to change email password on iPhone
Now that you know how important it is to change your passwords and how to secure them you need to make sure that you do not lose any data by changing them. There are different ways of changing the passwords on different iOS versions so you need to check what your current iOS version is. To check your current iOS version, go to the Settings > General > Software update or About iPhone.
Apple has a dedicated password manager called the iCloud Keychain that holds and maintains your passwords. So, in this example we will explain to you how to change your Gmail passwords on iPhone (you can also use this method to change the passwords of many other email service providers like Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.):
For iOS 15 or iOS 14
With the iCloud keychain active let us see the steps to change the passwords of the Gmail accounts in iOS 15/14.
- Go to the Settings app of your iPhone on your home screen.
- Scroll down to the “Passwords” tab and open it.
- Authenticate your Face Id or Touch Id and open the password menu.
- In the password menu, swipe down and search for the google.com tab which will contain the Gmail password. Click on it.
- You will be shown a message of “Compromised, reused password” in the Security recommendation if your password has been compromised. This means that you have to change the password of your Gmail account if you wish to keep it safe. You will get a blue link stating “Change Password on Website”
- In case your password is not compromised and is safe and secured but you still want it to be changed then you can go to the link given below with a Safari icon called accounts.google.com to change your password.
- Your Safari browser will open and you will be presented with the login page of google.
- On the login page, enter your current password and hit next to proceed. You can also use the iCloud keychain to enter the old password to quickly log in.
- You can now set your new password. Make sure you set a strong password.
Using these steps, you can very easily change your Gmail password on your iPhone on iOS 14 or above.
For iOS 13 or before
Things change a little with iOS 13 and the earlier versions. Let us see the steps to change the passwords of the Gmail accounts in iOS 15/14.
- Open the Settings of your iPhone.
- Go to the “Passwords and Accounts” tab and open it.
- Click on the “Website and App Password” tab to open a list of passwords that you have saved on your iPhone.
- Find and open the google.com tab with the Gmail password in it.
- If your account is compromised you will be shown a message as “Compromised, reused password” in the Security recommendation. This means that you have to change the password of your Gmail account if you wish to keep it safe. Click on the blue link given below stating “Change Password on Website”
- If you don’t find this message then your password is not compromised and is safe and secured but if you wish to change it then you can go to the link given below accounts.google.com and change your password from there.
- Open your Safari browser and you will get to the google login page.
- Enter your current password and proceed.
- Set your new password after entering your last password and make sure it is a strong one with both alphabet and numeric in it.
Using these steps, it is very easy to change your Gmail password in iOS 13 or below.
What to do if the iCloud keychain is not active?
It is highly recommended to use Apple’s iCloud keychain to use as a password manager but if you do not use it then you can go to the website of the email in a browser like Safari. You will have to change the password from going into the official website and changing the password from there.
If you wish to change the password of an email service provider for example Gmail, then you will have to go to Safari, open Gmail, Login in, and in the account settings change the old password to a new one.
How to change the email password by using the Email Apps in iPhone
This is an option if you don’t want to go through the hassle of navigating through your setting and finding ways of removing and going through it in a simple way using the email service provider’s apps. Whichever email service provider you use will have a dedicated application available on the Appstore. Make sure you have it installed and ready to use. In this example we will again use Gmail, we will use Gmail as an app to change the email password in your iPhone. So, let us see the steps to change the email password in your iPhone using the Gmail app:
- Open the Gmail app from your home screen on your iPhone.
- At the top right corner touch on your “Profile” option.
- It will open a pop-up window, click on “Manage your Google Account”.
- In Google’s Account menu, swipe to the “Personal info” tab.
- Swipe down to the “Password” tab that is given under the basic info. Click on it.
- Enter your old password and hit next.
- Then you will be asked to enter your new password. Set a strong password and you’re good to go.
What are the Alternative email Password managers on iPhone?
If you do not wish to use Apple’s iCloud key chain then it is fine as there are plenty of other password management apps available for iOS. They can be easily downloaded from Appstore and can be used very easily. They also come with some very handy features that are very useful if you wish to keep your accounts safe and secured. You can use these apps to make strong passwords which they will store as encrypted data and secure them perfectly.
You can find tons of options to choose from in Appstore but some of the bests are given below with short details about them:
Dashlane has a unique interface and security management system. It manages passwords and important documents that you might have kept in it. You can also generate automated passwords which it will remember and encrypt too. If in case of a security breach it pushes a notification alerting you and reporting you the details of the breach. It is not a free app and has a price of $59.99 a year.
LastPass is a new player in the market and is famous for its low price point and plethora of features. The app supports cross-platform usage and any platform you use it on can be transferred to have data communication. This means if you have a login in your Mac, you can then login the same in your iPhone. It is a very useful tool and is quite cheap at $12 per year.
3. Keeper Password Manager
This is the only free one on the list, but that does not mean it doesn’t come with its punches. It has a very good rating of 4.9 stars on Appstore and comes with a smart password generator. Also, It stores your passwords into your iPhone which means keeping it safe from breaches of any kind. It has a premium version which has some additional security features.
You must store your passwords in a safe place whether it be iCloud Keychain or any other place. Make sure you keep changing your passwords regularly and not lose your data. If you have any more questions you can check through the FAQs given below.
Yes, but only if you can remember and manage them. Having a strong password is good but only and until you can remember them.
Yes, it is as your passwords are protected by bionic safes and are also incredibly encrypted.