Pop-up ads are sure annoying that is why almost all the browsers have an in-built feature that blocks them by default. But due to this feature sometimes we also can’t even access the pop-ups the essential ones on some important websites so, that is why I don’t think that it is a wise decision to disable the pop-ups. You can always switch it on or off manually depending on what website you are surfing. You can also allow or block pop-ups on google chrome.
And you can easily distinguish if the pop-ups are blocked on the google chrome browser or not, the pop-up blocked mark is visible on the address bar (not always, only if you are using a website and the website launches a pop-up and the pop-ups are blocked) so, in this Gossipfunda’s article, I am going to show you how to allow pop ups on google chrome, how to allow pop-ups from a specific website, after all, some of the pop-ups are necessary and are not malicious or invasive. And a bonus solution guide on if you still face the pop-ups even after disabling them. Make sure to read the article thoroughly.
What are pop-ups
Pop-ups are small windows that show up on your screen. It is mainly used for advertisements but it is also used in many creative and effective ways, for example when we log into a social media platform and a pop-up appears to save your password or not. I am not even sure about the spelling (and many people too.) people write it as “popup” or “pop up” (I am writing it as pop up it was written as this when I received the topic) there are several types of pop-up beside the small window such as full screen, including banners and exit intent ones. Let’s understand the meaning of different spellings of pop-ups.
- Pop-up: the one I am using in the article can be used as a noun or an adjective. It refers to the pop-ups of websites.
- Pop up: can only be used as a verb and it describes an action of all of a sudden being visible.
- Popup: also used as a website popup and shockingly it is the most used one spelling regardless of the fact that it is grammatically wrong.
All the above three are used for website pop-ups and in this article, I am going to use the spelling “pop-up”
What are pop-ups used for?
Pop-ups are generally used for:
- Generating leads on the site
- Promote content on the website
- To spread awareness of events, sales and promos
- To prompt more traffic on product sites and landing
- In order to lower the cart abandonments
Types of pop-ups
These are some types of pop-ups that you may have faced on the sites:
- One-click order pop-ups
- Callback pop-ups
- Discounts, promo offers pop-ups
- Subscription pop-ups
- Footer pop-ups
- Sidebar pop-ups
- Header pop-ups
- Center pop-ups
- Click pop-ups
- Exit pop-ups
- Entry pop-ups
- Timed pop-ups
- Sidebar scroll pop-ups
Way to allow pop-ups on google chrome browser from the desktop
I mostly turn on the pop-up feature on the desktop whenever I am downloading a movie or something. Alright here are the instructions:
- Open the google chrome browser on your desktop.
- Tap on the menu button. It looks like three dots placed together in a vertical manner and is located in the upper-right section of the browser screen.
- You will see the “Settings” option, tap on it. It is the last third option on the list
- A new menu will appear. You will see a list of options on the left section of the browser (ignore the other section) tap on the “Privacy and security” option from the list
- A new list of options will appear, click on the “Site Settings” option. You can already see a preview that it has a pop-ups option
- Scroll down until you see the option that you are looking for that is “Pop-ups and redirects” and tap on it
- In the Default behavior section, you can see two options that are “Sites can send pop-ups and use redirects” and “Don’t allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects” choose the “Sites can send pop-ups and use redirects” by tapping on the circle left to it.
- And thus, you have now given access to sites to give you pop-ups
Way to allow pop-ups on google chrome from a specific website (desktop)
You also have the feature to allow pop-ups from a specific website on your windows pc. You can use this method to always see pop-ups from your trusted websites. Here is the instruction on how to do it:
- On your windows desktop, launch the google chrome browser.
- Then tap on the menu/more option. It is three vertical dots, just below the Close button.
- Tap on the Settings option from the menu. Wanna know another cool way to go to the settings option? On the search bar, search chrome://settings/ and you will straight go to the settings
- Then tap on the menu option (I have pointed it out on the image below) on the left. It will open a list of options.
- Tap on the Privacy and security option
- In the Privacy and security section, the fourth option is Site settings. Tap on it
- Scroll down until you get to the Pop-ups and redirects option then clicks on the option. In the Customized behavior section. Either add the website you want to see pop-ups from by clicking on the Add option or type the website in the No sites added section. Do this whole activity on Not allowed to pop-ups or use redirects block.
Way to allow or prevent pop-ups on the google chrome browser from the iPhone or iPad
Here are the instructions on how you can allow pop-ups on google chrome from your iPhone or iPad:
- On your iPhone or iPad, launch the google chrome browser app.
- Click on the more icon, it looks like this “…” and is located on the upper right section of the chrome screen menu
- A side window will appear there, click on the “Settings” option from that list
- Then on the new list of options, scroll down unit you see the “Content Settings” option and tap on it
- You will get the “Block Pop-ups” option, tap on it.
- Then toggle it on the right side to allow pop-ups.
- Go back and tap on the “Done” option to save changes.
If you want to disable the pop-ups on your iPhone or iPad then you can follow the same instructions and instead of toggling on the Block pop-ups switch it off by toggling it to the left side.
Some iPhone or iPad users are more familiar with the Safari browser so I am dropping the guide on how to allow pop-ups on safari too. Here are the instructions on how to allow pop-ups on safari from your iPhone or iPad:
- Open your iPhone or iPad’s Settings option. (not of the safari browser)
- From the list of options find the Safari option (you will need to scroll down a little for that) and then click on the option.
- You will get the Block pop-ups option on the general section of the new menu.
- Switch it off by toggling it to the left side. It will turn white once it is off.
If you want to block the pop-ups on your safari then follow the same procedure written above and instead of switching off the Block pop-ups feature, turn it on by toggling it to the right. It will turn green once it is on.
There is another way to allow pop-ups on the Safari browser from your iPhone or iPad. Follow these instructions:
- Open the Safari browser on your iPhone or iPad
- Go to the Preferences option
- Then access the Security option
- You will get the Block pop-up windows option there, turn it off or on according to your situation.
Way to allow pop-ups on google chrome from a specific website (iPhone or iPad)
Instead of keeping on or off pop-ups of all the websites, you can allow the pop-ups from your trusted website. This way you don’t have to turn on or off pop-ups each time to surf freely. Follow these instructions to enable pop-ups from a specific website:
- Open the Chrome browser on your iPhone or iPad.
- Then open the website you want to allow pop-ups from
- Do an activity that promotes a pop-up (usually, websites do it on their own)
- You will see a pop-up window on your screen. On the pop-up window, it will be stated something like pop-ups blocked. You have the option to “Always show” on the pop-up window, tap on it. And then you will always see pop-ups from that site.
Way to allow pop-ups on google chrome browser from the mac
Just like I showed you how can you enable or disable pop-ups on google chrome from a windows pc, you can also enable the pop-ups on your MacBook. Follow these instructions to enable pop-ups on google chrome from your mac:
- Launch the google chrome application on your MacBook.
- Access the menu (it is on the upper right section) of google chrome and tap on the Preferences
- Then click on the Privacy and security button
- Scroll down and then click on the Site settings option
- Select the Sites that can send pop-ups and use the redirects option in the Default behavior section.
If you want to disable the pop-ups on your mac, follow the same instructions, and instead of selecting the Sites that can send pop-ups and use redirects, select the Don’t allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects (recommended) option.
Way to allow pop-ups on google chrome from a specific website (on MacBook)
If you wish to enable pop-ups from a specific website on your MacBook you can do it too. Follow the steps mentioned below to get pop-ups from your selected sites on your MacBook:
- Launch the google chrome browser on your mac
- Search for the site you wish to get pop-ups from and open it
- Then in the upper left section of chrome, you will find the lock (just before the site address and the icon is literally shaped like a lock) icon, tap on it
- Then go to the Site settings from the drop-down menu
- The option of Pop-ups and redirects will be in front of your eyes. Select the Allow option to get pop-ups and you are done.
Way to allow/prevent pop-ups on safari browser from the mac
The safari browser is designed in such a manner that it blocks pop-ups by default therefore you need to disable this feature in order to get pop-ups. Let’s just quickly get to the guide on how can you allow pop-ups on safari from mac too without wasting any time. Here are the instructions:
- The obvious step, launch the Safari browser on your mac.
- Tap on the Safari option from the menu bar or toolbar. It is the top row with many options.
- After that tap on the third option from the list which is Preferences.
- Then you will see a new row at the top. Tap on the Websites option from it. Its the last third one.
- Tap on the Pop-up Windows option from the left column.
- You will see the option of When visiting other websites. Just next to it there are two arrows pointing opposites. Click on the arrow button.
- Select the Allow option from the list, and you are done.
Way to allow pop-ups on google chrome browser from android phone
Lastly, the solution for the majority of users. Follow these instructions if you have an android phone of an older version that is the version before 81.0.4044.138. Here is how you can enable the pop-ups on google chrome from your old android phone:
- Open the google chrome browser on your android mobile or tablet
- Tap on the menu button (three vertical dots) on the top right of the chrome screen
- Then click on the Settings option
- Then hit the Site settings button (you will need to scroll down a little)
- Then tap on the Pop-ups and redirects button
- Then allow the pop-ups by swiping it to the right. It will turn to blue once on and you are done. Swipe toward the left if you wish to disable the pop-ups on google chrome.
For the latest version users:
- Well, the first step is the same that is to open the google chrome app on your phone or tablet (ANDROID)
- The second step is also the same, that is to access the menu option.
- Then go to the Settings option
- Now the different part, tap on the Permission option
- And then on the Pop-ups and redirects
- Toggle on the (or off as per your need) to allow pop-ups and you are done.
Way to enable or disable pop-ups from a specific website on google chrome (Android)
Follow these steps written below to allow or block a specific website to send you pop-ups on android:
- Open the Chrome browser on your android phone or tablet
- Open the website you always want to see pop-ups from
- It will send you a pop-up (if you haven’t disabled the option) on the pop there will be an option of Always show
- Hit on it and you will receive every pop-up from that site
Bonus solution- how to fix the issue of pop-ups still showing even after disabling them
Try this if you are facing the issue of still seeing the pop-ups when you already turned them off. Follow these instructions:
- Firstly open google chrome and that tab that is showing the pop-up
- Switch to the airplane mode
- Then close the tab of the pop-up site
- Then also close the google chrome app
This should fix it. You can also restrict the particular website (if you haven’t already) to show you pop. one more solution if you are a windows pc user is that you can access the advanced options of chrome and then tap on the reset option.
So, this was it. I have shown you how to allow pop-ups on google chrome from android, iPhone, mac, and even windows. For the iOS users, I also included the guidelines for the Safari browser. If you ask me you should enable and disable pop-ups each time you surf (only if you surf a lot of sites on the internet) or if you don’t explore much then you can go put the website to allow you to show pop-ups. Do let me know if you need the guide on other browsers too, I will cover it for you all. No matter how much pop-ups annoy you, you need them. One more thing if you find a website not safe and filled with malicious or invasive, go ahead and block that site.