Want to know how to access and manage iCloud drive files from android, well read this article till the end and learn everything which will be helpful to you with iCloud things. With the rise of upgradation in technology, a lot of users like to experience all sorts of operating systems to understand which one is best for their use. Smart young users like to experiment with a number of models available in the market. I, as a young tech freak, like to change devices every time a new model is launched in the market.
Long gone are the old ways when users used to copy and re-enter each and every piece of data from their dairy to their new device. Now, using your Gmail account you can store your data in Drive. For those users who own an Android, keep their data like photos, contacts, etc in Google drive. And those using iPhones keep their data in iCloud.
So if you are one of those users who are changing their device from Apple and Android, you must be wondering about How to Access and Manage iCloud Drive Files From Android. Since these are two completely different operating systems, it can be a hassle. Users using Android for the first time may have it hard as they have no clue about the usage of Android. Given, there are a number of files in iCloud including your iCloud account, photos, iCloud email, contacts, WhatsApp messages, etc. Users have to search how to transfer one of them over the Internet. But this article will guide you through each one of these in just one article. With correct knowledge about how to do it can make it simple and manageable.
Table of Content
- 1 Access an iCloud drive account from Android to manage files
- 2 Retrieving Photos on Android
- 3 Opening iCloud email on Android
- 4 Syncing Contacts on Android
- 5 Viewing notes on Android
- 6 Transferring WhatsApp Backup from iCloud to Google Drive
- 7 Conclusion
Access an iCloud drive account from Android to manage files
The reason why you need to log into your iCloud account is to access iCloud services on Android devices. The iCloud homepage itself contains your contacts, photos, notes, etc. Thus accessing it can help you retrieve a lot of data. In order to transfer data from iCloud to Android firstly login to your iCloud account. You can do so by following these steps:
- Step 1: Go to the iCloud website and sign in with your Apple ID and password
- Step 2: In case your iCloud account has set up two-factor authentication, a code will be needed to sign in to your account which you will receive on attaching it to macOS, iOS, or iPadOS. During the sign-in process, you must insert that code.
- Step 3: After the insertion, a dialogue box will appear asking you whether you trust the browser that you are using. Click on ‘Trust’ if you do. If you do not trust the browser then click on ‘Don’t trust’ or ‘Not now’ and you will proceed without trusting the device.
Retrieving Photos on Android
Viewing photos once you have signed in is a piece of cake. Once you have logged in all you have to do is
- Step 1: Go to the iCloud homepage.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Photos’.
- Step 3: You can download all the photos to your android device as well.
This way you will be able to view all the memories of your friends and family without any hassle.
Opening iCloud email on Android
Logging in and viewing photos may seem easy but people often wonder ‘Can I retrieve all my iCloud emails if I change my OS to Android? Is that possible?’ Well, it is. All you must do is follow these easy steps:
- Generating password to access iCloud email.
- Using Gmail to check iCloud emails on Android.
- Logging In to iCloud Emails using other mail apps.
- Generating password to access iCloud email.
Apple is well known in the tech industry for providing one of the best securities to its users. This may be one of the reasons why adding an iCloud Email address to Android is a bit of a hassle.
- Firstly, you must set up two-factor authentication. (However, two-factor authentication is set by default in iOS 10.3 or further Apple IDs)
- Then you can proceed to generate app-specific passwords.
This is how you must generate app-specific passwords:
- Step1: On applied.apple.com log in with your Apple ID.
- Step2: Click on the manage page and slide down to the ‘Security’ section.
- Step 3: Then, under ‘App-Specific Passwords’ click on ‘Generate password.
- Step 4: Enter a label for the password, preferably if the name is related to the application you use, such as Gmail.
- Step 5: Click on ‘create’.
- Step 6: Copy that generated app-specific password for future references.
Once the app-specific password is generated, you are all set to add your iCloud email address to Gmail on your Android device.
Using Gmail to check iCloud emails in Andro ID
Now that the app password has been set, you can open your iCloud Emails on Android. You can make your iCloud Email as the default emailing application for your Android device. Follow these steps to do so:
- Step 1: On your Android device, open Gmail.
- Step 2: Then, click on your profile picture.
- Step 3: Scroll down and you will find an ‘Add another account’ tab. Click on it.
- Step 4: In the options provided click on ‘Other’. You will be taken to another window where you can enter your iCloud email address. Then tap ‘Next’
- Step 5: You can paste the ‘app-specific password’ that you had copied earlier or enter it yourself. Then tap ‘Next’
Now that you have signed in to your iCloud email you can check and reply to your emails easily on Android.
Logging In to iCloud Emails using other mail apps
You must have met someone at least once who is not fond of Gmail. They prefer, let us say any other emailing browser over Gmail. So, here are the steps to open your iCloud email on Android:
- Step 1: Open the email website or browser on your Android device.
- Step 2: Click on the profile icon.
- Step 3: On the pop-up menu, slide down to find the ‘Settings’ icon. Click on it.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Add Account
- Step 5: Select the add account option and enter your iCloud email ID.
- Step 6: Again, you can paste the ‘app-specific password’ that you had copied earlier or enter it yourself.
And that is all! These are the basic steps you must follow in any other mail app to open your iCloud account. No matter what email application you prefer, you can always retrieve your iCloud emails.
Syncing Contacts on Android
Well, syncing your contact from Android is easy. But syncing contacts from iCloud to Android? That is also easy! These are several approaches to syncing your iCloud contacts to Android. You can opt for any of these.
Importing using iCloud
There is a certain prerequisite needed to sync your contacts from iCloud to email. What are they: Your google account must be linked with your Android Phone. Yes, that is it. Further, just follow these steps to perform the task:
- Step 1: Go to the settings of your Android. Click on Google and select ‘Settings for Google app’. Now enable the ‘Google Contacts sync’.
- Step 2: Open icloud.com and sign in to your iCloud account. You can see all your contacts saved on your iCloud once you click on ‘Contacts’.
- Step 3: You can import the selected contacts by clicking on the Gear icon. Once the menu list appears, click on ‘Export vCard’.
- Step 4: Then, open your Google contacts and go to the Google account that has been synced with the Android phone.
- Step 5: To import the exported vCard file select ‘Import’
Downloading from Computer
Rather than importing, if you want to download the contacts you must by connecting your Android to a computer, export them then imports them to your Android via USB.
Here are the steps to do so:
- Step 1: Log In to your iCloud account on your computer then select ‘Contacts’
- Step 2: Again, you can import the selected contacts by clicking on the Gear icon. Once the menu list appears, click on ‘Export vCard’. Then save it to the desired storage location.
- Step 3: Connect the USB cable to your Android and another end to your PC. Go to the location where you have saved the contacts and import the vCard file to your Android.
- Step 4: Once you have launched the contacts app on your phone, click on ‘Fix & Manage’
- Step 5: From the list appearing on the screen click on ‘Import from file’ to save it to a chosen account.
- Step 6: Import the VCF file by selecting it.
Viewing notes on Android
iCloud notes are a need for people who have been using an iPhone as they keep all their minor data in it. Some prefer to write a diary on it while some have a to-do list on it. Hence it is important to retrieve iCloud notes on Android. The approach to viewing it on Android is mentioned down:
Using Chrome to Sync iCloud notes
(If you opt for this approach, you will need your iPhone)
- Step 1: In your iPhone open settings>tap on your name>select iCloud> allow notes toggle.
- Step 2: Switch to your Android device and log in to your iCloud account.
- Step 3: Several icons will appear on your screen. Select the ‘Notes’ icon among those.
Hurry! You have successfully opened iCloud notes on your Android device.
Extra: Creating a shortcut to access it readily.
- Step 1: Continuing the above steps, click on the three dots on the right top corner of your screen.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Add to home screen’.
- Step 3: A window will appear asking you to ‘Add’, ‘Rename’ or cancel the window according to your liking.
- Step 4: If you select ‘Add’, the iCloud notes icon will be displayed on your home screen from where you can access it very easily.
And that is all you have got to do.
Access iCloud drive notes file via Gmail on android.
Using this process, you will be able to open your iCloud notes but you won’t be able to edit them.
(For this process you may need your previous iPhone)
- Step 1: Go to the settings of your iOS device and click on ‘Passwords & Accounts’ tab.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Add Account’ and select google on the next window that has appeared.
- Step 3: Enter the details of your Google Account.
- Step 4: Go back to Passwords & Accounts and find the ‘Gmail’ label.
- Step 5: Click on that label. A window will appear, find ‘Notes’ on that window and turn the toggle on.
- Step 6: Now login to the same Gmail account on your Android and find notes in the left-hand column.
- Step 7: Your iCloud notes will appear as general emails. You can click on it to sync your notes from iCloud.
Follow the above instructions and you will be able to find your iCloud notes in the Gmail account of your Android device.
In case, you use both devices at the same time you can edit notes on your iPhone, follow the above steps and sync it to Android again. Unfortunately, Using the Gmail method does not allow you to edit them in your Android Gmail account.
Even though you cannot edit your iCloud notes in your Android Gmail account, you can delete them. One of the fun facts is that in case you feel like deleting a note from your Gmail account, it will also be deleted from your iPhone. This condition goes both ways. If you are deleting a note from the Gmail account of your Android, you will have to refresh the Gmail tab to view if it has been deleted.
As mentioned above, syncing of iCloud notes does not come in handy. iCloud notes won’t sync with Gmail notes and Gmail notes do not sync with iCloud notes.
Transferring WhatsApp Backup from iCloud to Google Drive
The most common question that comes to the mind of people is whether they can transfer WhatsApp backup directly. Well, unfortunately, no. For security reasons, WhatsApp is end-to-end encrypted. Therefore, there is no way to transfer it directly from iCloud to Google drive. Instead, there are a few steps that you can follow to transfer WhatsApp backup to Google drive from iCloud. They are:
- Step 1: On your iPhone, go to settings>chats>chat backup.
- Step 2: Delete WhatsApp from your Apple device. Then, go to the App store to re-download and reinstall it.
- Step 3: Use your phone number to log in to your account. You will be asked to ‘Restore Chat History’. Click on it.
- Step 4: This step might be a hassle for users as you may have to use third-party software to restore the data.
Using any secure software online, you can transfer the data seamlessly. Most of them provide you with the following features:
- WhatsApp transfers between two or more different devices.
- Backing up all the data in your WhatsApp.
- Restoring WhatsApp backup to different Operating Systems.
- Previewing and Exporting WhatsApp backup to PDF, HTML, etc.
Not just the gen-Z but the older generation as well are well-versed with technology these days. They wish to try all sorts of technology available out there and get a fresh experience of the vast tech industry. Especially those people who are really interested in the upcoming and ongoing tech advancements and wish to gain knowledge about all types of Operating Systems out there. The internet fellows often like to compare iPhones and Android. They compete over which one is better than the other. Of course, some features that exist in one do not exist in the other. But that is what makes them both different and unique in their own way.
How you decide to choose an Operating System must be dependent on what you want from your Smartphone rather than an opinion on the internet. In case you are someone who found Android best for them and opted for it, if you owned an iPhone before, then this article comprises all you need.