Many users experience downloading messages from iCloud when they are trying to retrieve the messages from iCloud. iCloud is an online storage platform for iPhone users. It is available for all iOS users, but backing up the messages came into existence from iOS 10. All we need to do is enable the backing using our Apple account and the data gets backed on the cloud frequently. This is one of the best platforms since it ensures data security, helps in saving personal data, and saves storage space on your devices by storing data in the cloud. We can retrieve the data if the phone gets lost or if we are buying other phones. All we have to do is turn on the feature and it does its work, it makes uploading and downloading easy on all the devices of the IOS environment.
However, in some cases, we can see that the backing process is not as smooth as it was meant to be. We might be stuck or the data might get lost. One such problem which iOS users are experiencing nowadays is downloading messages from iCloud getting stuck. When users are trying to back up the messages on iCloud, the screen is displaying the message downloading messages from iCloud and getting stuck there. The problem is relevant for the new users too, but the best thing is we have many possible solutions to solve this issue, and all these methods in some or other way help in making your user experience better. We will try to know how to enable the cloud services for the messages and how to solve the issue of downloading messages on any Apple device.
How to enable the backup for messages app on iCloud?
For our messages to be backed up, we need to set up the environment on the iCloud settings. Then only the cloud will be able to store the information from the messages app to the cloud. This is a simple step, let us go through it if you do not know.
- Go to the settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on your account.
- In the list of options, navigate to iCloud.
- Turn on the toggle beside the messages app, to enable the backup for messages on the iCloud.
This action enables the syncing of all the things present on your Apple account, that is everything will be in sync on all the devices using your Apple account. If changes are made in one device, they will get reflected on all other devices. The other thing one needs to keep in mind while trying to backup the messages it that, syncing the messages on the iCloud is only available from the versions equipped with the IOS 12, mobile with software earlier than that are not compatible, so go to the settings to check for the version of your phone. If the version is not compatible make sure you update your IOS to back up the messages. Go to the settings-> navigate to the system updates-> check for the updates and download the new version to get started.
There is one thing the user needs to remember whenever they are trying to sync with the cloud, the phone should never be on charge. The Charging phone will halt some functions on the iPhone. And sometimes the phone starts functioning abnormally due to this.
Methods of Downloading messages from iCloud?
The process that you have done above is to back up the messages on to the cloud, so now we need to know how to download those synced messages from the iCloud to your device. You want to use the backup option when you have bought a new phone or did a factory reset. Let us know the steps to continue from there to download the messages on the new device.
- Open the settings on your iPhone.
- Use your Apple account credentials to log in to the iPhone, if you have done the factory reset.
- Create your Apple account, if you are a new IOS user.
- After completing the initial process, you will be displayed with three options: set up as a new phone, back up data from iCloud, and back up data from iTunes.
- Choose the cloud option, and sign in with your iCloud account.
- The list of all the available back ups on the iCloud will be displayed to you, if you have backed up your messages data, it will be one of them.
- Click on it to back up the messages data, depending on the storage of the data, the phone will take some time to download all your messages.
There are many other third party applications which could do the same, they not only back up the data they are useful to restore, transfer from one OS to another. Application like Dr.Fone is one such handy tool to handle all these situations. Connect your device and go to the website on your computer, from the options available select the backup option, it will back up all your device data and save it on the device cloud. Now after buying a new device or after doing the factory reset on your old device, connect it to the computer again, now you can log in to your account on the platform and download all your data into your device.
How to fix downloading messages from iCloud getting stuck?
If you are facing any issue while downloading messages from iCloud, You can try some of the following tricks to fix your downloading issue.
1. Force Restart your iPhone
The first and the best thing you can try is to restart your phone, switch the phone off and wait for a few seconds and switch it on again. This action resolves the internal glitches in the system software and gives the OS a fresh start. This cannot be done using the internal features, we need to use the combinations of side and volume buttons for the recent phones and the home button for the old models. This varies from one device to the other. This may resolve this abnormal functioning of the iCloud. A restart clears the previous memory of all working programs and makes the phone work smoothly.
Use the combinations until the apple logo appears confirming the shutdown and after a few seconds use the same combination to power the phone on. A power cycle would also do the same, there will be a reboot button in your control center or the phone settings, this will shut down the phone for a few seconds and power it on by itself.
2. Restart the iCloud Messages
We can try restarting the cloud services again, this will refresh the connection and might help in solving the issue. All you need to do is disable and enable the toggle beside the messages app in the iCloud account. The steps to do this process are below.
- Go to the settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on your account.
- Navigate to the cloud account, to see the list of apps using the cloud services.
- Go to the messages, turn off the toggle and turn it on again to restart the connection.
This action might take some time since iCloud has to back up all the data of the Messages app from the cloud.
3. Reset the iCloud account
This is another method to resolve the downloading messages from the iCloud issue, we need to log out and log in to our Apple account. This can be done using the Apple ID, but we cannot change the E-Mail associated with the iCloud account, since it is in sync with the Apple account. All you need to do is use your account credentials and log out from the device.
Log out from the device:
- Go to the settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on your name.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, you will see the log-out option.
- Click on it and confirm by entering the passcode.
Log in using the Apple ID:
- Open the settings app on your iPhone.
- Click on add account on the screen.
- Log in to the device using your Apple ID credentials.
- Turn on the iCloud services and now try downloading the iCloud messages.
4. Check your Wi-Fi Network Settings
If you are downloading anything from the cloud, you need a proper internet connection. If the network is weak or there is an issue with the internet connection, the download might not be smooth and gets stuck on downloading the iCloud messages. Due to improper connection, nothing will be in sync and the download is interrupted. If we reset the network connections we can re-establish the connections and the glitches will vanish.
- Go to the settings on the iPhone.
- Scroll down to the reset section.
- Tap on Reset All Networks.
You will have to enter the phone passcode to confirm this action. We need to remember one thing before resetting all the network settings is, all the network passwords will be gone and we need to enter them again.
5. Force Restart Messages App
This is just like restarting the device, all we need to do is remove the messages app from the recent apps and reopen it. If you are using the older versions, use the home button to bring up the recent apps. Just double-tap on it. In the newer versions, swipe up from the bottom to the middle of the screen to get the recent apps. Hold the Messages app and swipe up to remove it. Open in again after some time and try doing the backup.
6. Check for iCloud Maintenance
If the iCloud is under maintenance mode, we won’t be able to download the messages, since nothing will be in sync. Apple sometimes uses this maintenance feature to resolve the software issues in the apps and features. Check if the cloud is under maintenance before starting the backup. You can do this by going to the Apple System Status Page. If the maintenance is going on, wait until it is over and try again. If nothing works, force restarts your device and do it again.
7. Using a third-party App to fix the issue
We can use external software and apps like Tenorshare reboot to rectify the issue without having to lose our personal data and pre-installed apps. These apps contain some recovery tools which identify the problem and select suitable software and deploy it in the system to solve the issue. There are many other third-party apps, but make sure you know which one you are using. Third-party apps sometimes carry external software, which makes your phone work abnormally.
To do this, we might have to follow some steps
- Step-1: Navigate to the Tenorshare ReiBoot home page on your browser and you can see a list of software problems it can solve, read them and select your problem, in this case, it is downloading messages from iCloud. We need to connect the phone and start the process.
- step-2: To solve the Downloading messages from iCloud got stuck problem, download the application on your computer. Open the application and tap on the fix now button to see the options to select your iPhone model. From the options displayed select the model of your iPhone and click ok.
- step-3: Now that you have selected the model of your iPhone and a software to download to resolve your issue, you need to connect your iPhone and computer using an USB cable so that they can make a connection. Now force restart your phone to put the phone in the recovery mode. We can see the charging symbol appearing on the screen, while we start the process. Now on the website or the app you can see the fix now button, click on it to start downloading the new software.
- step-4: The app will try to detect the problem. The application will suggest the best software to solve the issue. You can use this app either on the web or can use it through the app, both are compatible with the device. But the interfaces are little different, when you are using the browser you need to click on repair now to see the list of problems.
Downloading and installing the new software will take a few minutes and then you can continue to restart the phone and check for the changes. This entire process takes up about half an hour, so be patient.
8. Factory Reset
This is the last thing you want to try is a factory reset because there is a chance of losing personal data. If the data is backed up on the cloud we can retrieve it after this process. This action also resolves the downloading messages on the iCloud issue. The one thing to keep in mind is all the features on the iPhone will be set to default. Also, we need to do this on every device, because we never know which device requires a factory reset. All we need to do is go to the settings and scroll down to the factory reset option and confirm the action by typing the passcode if prompted. Try restoring the data from the cloud after this you might not face the issue again.
These are some of the methods we can try to fix the downloading messages from iCloud got stuck issue. If you find this article helpful, share it with your friends who are facing the same issue. For more iPhone tips and tricks, search TrickyFreaky.